size of text

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Matthias Gutfeldt, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Matthias Pospiech wrote:
    > What is then the size of text with
    > font-size : 100%; compared to font-size : 1em; ?

    They're the same.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Matthias Gutfeldt

    P.J.M. Smit Guest

    "Matthias Pospiech" <> schreef in bericht
    > I want to choose the size of text in my documents. (CSS) I found know
    > articles that encourage to use the em-unit. Also I have seen that may use
    > the percentage value. What is then the size of text with
    > font-size : 100%; compared to font-size : 1em; ?
    >
    > Apart from the fact that I could just try what fits best on my screen I

    need
    > this information because I develop under linux and know that the sizes

    must
    > be different for Windows users.
    >
    > Matthias Pospiech

    http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_units.asp
    Peter

    Matthias Pospiech, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Matthias Pospiech <> wrote:

    > I want to choose the size of text in my documents.

    Stop wanting that. At least until you understand the problem(s).
    Otherwise, anything you soup up as a possible solution (to an
    unspecified or incompletely understood problem) will probably just
    create problems.

    > I found know articles that encourage to use the em-unit.

    Ignore them until you understand what the em unit is. If the articles
    don't explain it, or provide links to documents that explain it,
    ignore them permanently.

    > Also I have seen that may use the percentage value.

    In fact, I have written, quite seriously, a textbook example that uses
    font-size: 30%. But don't do this at home unless you understand what's
    going on.

    > What is then the size of text with
    > font-size : 100%; compared to font-size : 1em; ?

    The same, modulo browser bugs. You will have a little larger share of
    bugs if you use em. But this is secondary to the issue of understanding
    font sizes. It's the "how", not "what".

    > Apart from the fact that I could just try what fits best on my
    > screen I need this information because I develop under linux and
    > know that the sizes must be different for Windows users.

    No, they need not. They _can_ be, and often will. Even on different
    Linuxen. Even on your screen on different days, maybe.

    Is there a well-understood problem with font sizes, given the fact that
    in all Web browsers that can use different font sizes in the first
    place, the user selects (by doing nothing or by doing something) the
    basic font size? If there's no well-defined problem, all attempts to
    solve a problem are just shots in the dark. When it's about font size,
    some shots are (by mathematical certainty) guaranteed to hit users
    badly. Some people justify this by claiming that on the average the
    shots do some good (which may or may not be true, I won't argue).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Matthias Gutfeldt

    Paul Furman Guest

    Matthias Pospiech wrote:

    > I want to choose the size of text in my documents. (CSS) I found know
    > articles that encourage to use the em-unit. Also I have seen that may use
    > the percentage value. What is then the size of text with
    > font-size : 100%; compared to font-size : 1em; ?
    >
    > Apart from the fact that I could just try what fits best on my screen I need
    > this information because I develop under linux and know that the sizes must
    > be different for Windows users.

    Here's an experiment I did:
    http://www.edgehill.net/html/large-font-test
    My conclusion is that percent is better for text size and ems are useful
    for sizing other elements relative to the text size. Basically anything
    you use is going to be different on different systems and cannot be
    guaranteed without locking it into GIF images.

    Also follow the link at the top of that page for more info.

    Paul Furman, Feb 18, 2004