    of calls to an external database. Total duration 500-600ms.
    The aspx are a bit more complicated but even on my laptop they return in
    less than 2s.

    savvas, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Hello savvas,

    I didnt see windows requirements calculator, and thins u need to evaluate
    number of params for this.
    Actually it's good idea to create such a tool :)

    I think that the bandwidth calculation is the area where u need concetrate.
    So, you should know

    1) how many people time will access your WS at one time
    2) data transfer rate
    3) response rate

    ---
    WBR,

    s> Do you know if microsoft has any tools or guidelines to calculate the
    s> hardware requirements for a server with windows server 2003 that will
    s> have a couple of .Net webservices and a couple of aspx pages.
    s>
    s> The webservices will be called in the range of 8000 calls per minute.
    s> The
    s> aspx pages will be rarely accessed (maybe 1-2 times per week).
    s> The webservices do very little processing in .Net and they execute a
    s> couple
    s> of calls to an external database. Total duration 500-600ms.
    s> The aspx are a bit more complicated but even on my laptop they return
    s> in
    s> less than 2s.

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Feb 6, 2008

  3. savvas

    savvas Guest

    Michael,

    Pleaes find my response below.

    Regards,
    Savvas.

    "Michael Nemtsev [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hello savvas,
    >
    > I didnt see windows requirements calculator, and thins u need to evaluate
    > number of params for this.

    What is a windows requirements calculator? Can you give examples?

    > Actually it's good idea to create such a tool :)
    >
    > I think that the bandwidth calculation is the area where u need concetrate.

    for now network bandwidth is not an issue because we will have very quick
    connection

    > So, you should know
    >
    > 1) how many people time will access your WS at one time

    The reuquests do not have a linear relation with people but we expect to
    have 8000 requests per minute.

    > 2) data transfer rate

    SOAP requests. Size of each SOAP message should be less than 1kb
    > 3) response rate

    less than 700ms. Most of the time 500-600ms is spent calling stored
    procedures through an ODBC.
    Basically we are trying to propose the hardware specifications (e.g. dual
    core, 4GB RAM, 100GB HDD 7200 etc) and OS specifications (e.g. windows 2003
    standard edition) that are able to handle such a load of Webservices calls.

    savvas, Feb 6, 2008
  4. savvas

    bruce barker Guest

    there are two many variables for a general answer. you need to determine the
    bottlenecks in your app (memory, network, cpu, etc). then test for scale. at
    quick look at your numers (if accurate),

    8000 trans/minute = 2.2/sec
    database trans time = .5 second

    the first test is database scaling. will it do 2.2 trans/sec? what will it
    take to do it. what locking issues.

    8000 trans/sec is pretty loose number, you should do some poisson queue
    analysis to get better number and queue wait times.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 6, 2008
  5. Hello savvas,

    >> I didnt see windows requirements calculator, and thins u need to
    >> evaluate number of params for this.

    s> What is a windows requirements calculator? Can you give examples?

    I meant the hardware requirements calc u a looking for :)

    s> for now network bandwidth is not an issue because we will have very
    s> quick connection
    >> 1) how many people time will access your WS at one time

    s> The reuquests do not have a linear relation with people but we expect
    s> to have 8000 requests per minute.
    s>
    >> 2) data transfer rate

    s> SOAP requests. Size of each SOAP message should be less than 1kb

    so, 4-8MB per minute

    >> 3) response rate

    s> less than 700ms. Most of the time 500-600ms is spent calling stored
    s> procedures through an ODBC.
    s> Basically we are trying to propose the hardware specifications (e.g.
    s> dual
    s> core, 4GB RAM, 100GB HDD 7200 etc) and OS specifications (e.g.
    s> windows 2003
    s> standard edition) that are able to handle such a load of Webservices
    s> calls.

    ok, but what are the payload of this web services? what are they gonna do?
    extract data from DB or what?
    I suppose before gonna to production u need the environment where to develop
    your services. My point is that u need to have any environment to start performance
    measuring, and after than decide what do u need in production

    ---
    WBR,

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Feb 7, 2008