sizing question

bni03

Hey everyone, if I have two tables on a page is there a way for me to
specify the height for the bottom table to take up the remaining space
on the page? Something like Table2Height = 100% - Table1Height

dorayme

Hey everyone, if I have two tables on a page is there a way for me to
specify the height for the bottom table to take up the remaining space
on the page? Something like Table2Height = 100% - Table1Height

How can the the bottom table not take up the remaining space if
it is the last thing? If it is not the last thing and you have a
third table or more things like pics, divs, footers, you would
not want it to overlay these last things?

dorayme

dorayme said:
How can the the bottom table not take up the remaining space if
it is the last thing?

Sorry, I guess you want it to go to whatever is left of the
browser height. Why would you want this? Anyway, you will have to
wait till the Northern Hemisphere help desk staff are on. They
will perhaps help you with absolute positioning or javascript or
something or cane you badly for wanting this. Simple height is a
bit hopeless as far as I can see because, for one thing, what
height can you possibly guess?

Perhaps you could post a URL to show what you want to do and
there may be a neat way of doing a job that you would be happy
with...

Sid

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:43:42 +1000, dorayme

: Sorry, I guess you want it to go to whatever is left of the
: browser height. Why would you want this? Anyway, you will have to
: wait till the Northern Hemisphere help desk staff are on.

The Southern Hemisphere is stumped too, without a URL.

Sid

dorayme

Sid said:
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:43:42 +1000, dorayme

: Sorry, I guess you want it to go to whatever is left of the
: browser height. Why would you want this? Anyway, you will have to
: wait till the Northern Hemisphere help desk staff are on.

The Southern Hemisphere is stumped too, without a URL.

Sid

Methinks he wants to use it for layout, it probably has features
like backgrounds and borders and wants these to go to bottom of
window whether there is content there or not... Me, I like things
to end, no matter what they are, when there is nothing more to
say or show. I like style following content, no more and no less,
as much as content being styled.

I had a case recently with a client who complained (sort of) that
there was all this empty space on the right of some of the pages
I made for them. I said, well, there was no material to put
there? What do you want me to put there? To my eye, it looked
nice that there was nothing because there was nothing to be
distracted by. The content was small and text and needed to be em
constrained so the lines were not hard to read. It was in an
attractive box, easy to read (black on white) and the body
background was plain but coloured nice too. There is something
nice about not using all the canvas if it does not warrant it.

Nature abhors a vacuum it is said, but I don't think this dictum
should be adapted to rule about some need to fill all available
web browser space.

Excuse me for the little rave.

bni03

thanks for the replies!

i'm sorry i don't have a URL, but basically i have two tables, and the
bottom table has a treeview with data from a large XML file displayed
in it. This treeview is set into a scrollable panel. The upper table
also has its height determined by the data it is displaying.

i'm looking to not have the entire page scroll without wasting any
space. if the xml file is small, its ok to have empty space on the
bottom, but i would like to maximum height of the bottom table be
whatever space is left. right now i have it set to height=50% which
isn't really optimal... does that make my question clearer?

dorayme

thanks for the replies!

i'm sorry i don't have a URL, but basically i have two tables, and the
bottom table has a treeview with data from a large XML file displayed
in it. This treeview is set into a scrollable panel. The upper table
also has its height determined by the data it is displaying.

i'm looking to not have the entire page scroll without wasting any
space. if the xml file is small, its ok to have empty space on the
bottom, but i would like to maximum height of the bottom table be
whatever space is left. right now i have it set to height=50% which
isn't really optimal... does that make my question clearer?

The solution seems obvious to me: be rid of the scrollable panel.
Let the user use the normal scroll bars. But who know if you
would do what I would do?

bni03

yea unfortunately i can't do that... so i take it there's no special
character to take up the rest of the space of the parent ?