    specify the height for the bottom table to take up the remaining space
    on the page? Something like Table2Height = 100% - Table1Height

    , Sep 29, 2006

  2. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Hey everyone, if I have two tables on a page is there a way for me to
    > specify the height for the bottom table to take up the remaining space
    > on the page? Something like Table2Height = 100% - Table1Height

    How can the the bottom table not take up the remaining space if
    it is the last thing? If it is not the last thing and you have a
    third table or more things like pics, divs, footers, you would
    not want it to overlay these last things?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 29, 2006

  3. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hey everyone, if I have two tables on a page is there a way for me to
    > > specify the height for the bottom table to take up the remaining space
    > > on the page? Something like Table2Height = 100% - Table1Height

    > How can the the bottom table not take up the remaining space if
    > it is the last thing?

    Sorry, I guess you want it to go to whatever is left of the
    browser height. Why would you want this? Anyway, you will have to
    wait till the Northern Hemisphere help desk staff are on. They
    will perhaps help you with absolute positioning or javascript or
    something or cane you badly for wanting this. Simple height is a
    bit hopeless as far as I can see because, for one thing, what
    height can you possibly guess?

    Perhaps you could post a URL to show what you want to do and
    there may be a neat way of doing a job that you would be happy
    with...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 29, 2006
  4. Sid Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:43:42 +1000, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    : Sorry, I guess you want it to go to whatever is left of the
    : browser height. Why would you want this? Anyway, you will have to
    : wait till the Northern Hemisphere help desk staff are on.

    The Southern Hemisphere is stumped too, without a URL.

    Sid

    Sid, Sep 29, 2006
  5. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Sid <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:43:42 +1000, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > : Sorry, I guess you want it to go to whatever is left of the
    > : browser height. Why would you want this? Anyway, you will have to
    > : wait till the Northern Hemisphere help desk staff are on.
    >

    > The Southern Hemisphere is stumped too, without a URL.
    >
    > Sid

    Methinks he wants to use it for layout, it probably has features
    like backgrounds and borders and wants these to go to bottom of
    window whether there is content there or not... Me, I like things
    to end, no matter what they are, when there is nothing more to
    say or show. I like style following content, no more and no less,
    as much as content being styled.

    I had a case recently with a client who complained (sort of) that
    there was all this empty space on the right of some of the pages
    I made for them. I said, well, there was no material to put
    there? What do you want me to put there? To my eye, it looked
    nice that there was nothing because there was nothing to be
    distracted by. The content was small and text and needed to be em
    constrained so the lines were not hard to read. It was in an
    attractive box, easy to read (black on white) and the body
    background was plain but coloured nice too. There is something
    nice about not using all the canvas if it does not warrant it.

    Nature abhors a vacuum it is said, but I don't think this dictum
    should be adapted to rule about some need to fill all available
    web browser space.

    Excuse me for the little rave.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 29, 2006

    thanks for the replies!

    i'm sorry i don't have a URL, but basically i have two tables, and the
    bottom table has a treeview with data from a large XML file displayed
    in it. This treeview is set into a scrollable panel. The upper table
    also has its height determined by the data it is displaying.

    i'm looking to not have the entire page scroll without wasting any
    space. if the xml file is small, its ok to have empty space on the
    bottom, but i would like to maximum height of the bottom table be
    whatever space is left. right now i have it set to height=50% which
    isn't really optimal... does that make my question clearer?

    , Sep 29, 2006
  7. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > thanks for the replies!
    >
    > i'm sorry i don't have a URL, but basically i have two tables, and the
    > bottom table has a treeview with data from a large XML file displayed
    > in it. This treeview is set into a scrollable panel. The upper table
    > also has its height determined by the data it is displaying.
    >
    > i'm looking to not have the entire page scroll without wasting any
    > space. if the xml file is small, its ok to have empty space on the
    > bottom, but i would like to maximum height of the bottom table be
    > whatever space is left. right now i have it set to height=50% which
    > isn't really optimal... does that make my question clearer?

    The solution seems obvious to me: be rid of the scrollable panel.
    Let the user use the normal scroll bars. But who know if you
    would do what I would do?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 30, 2006

    yea unfortunately i can't do that... so i take it there's no special
    character to take up the rest of the space of the parent ?

    , Sep 30, 2006