slice! invalid byte sequence in UTF-8

Marek Kis

Hello

I am started my adventures with Ruby I want to write simple parser:

if RUBY_VERSION =~ /1.9/
Encoding.default_external = Encoding::UTF_8
Encoding.default_internal = Encoding::UTF_8
end

url = URI.parse('example url')

response = Net::HTTP.start(url.host, url.port) do |http|
http.get(url.path)
end

main_page = response.body
links = main_page.slice!(/<table class="regions">.+<\/table>/)

I am getting error: parser.rb:17:in `slice!': invalid byte sequence in
UTF-8 (ArgumentError)

Could somebody explain me how to resolve this problem?
All solutions that I found doesn't work for me.

Regards

Iñaki Baz Castillo

2011/3/3 Marek Kis said:
main_page =3D response.body
links =3D main_page.slice!(/<table class=3D"regions">.+<\/table>/)

Add this line to check the got body:

puts main_page.inspect

--=20
I=C3=B1aki Baz Castillo
<[email protected]>

Marek Kis

Everything seems to looks ok, any strange maybe :

<title>Biura nieruchomo\xB6ci | Agencje nieruchomo\xB6ci</title>

polish letters in page are problem ?

Iñaki Baz Castillo

2011/3/3 Marek Kis said:
Everything seems to looks ok, any strange maybe :

<title>Biura nieruchomo\xB6ci | Agencje nieruchomo\xB6ci</title>

polish letters in page are problem ?

Maybe such page is not encoded in UTF8.

--=20
I=C3=B1aki Baz Castillo
<[email protected]>

Marek Kis

I forgot about checking encoding.

I put Encoding.default_external = Encoding::UTF_8 because without this I
got the same error.

Any chance that it will be work with iso-8859-2?