    messaging and down to a potential backend db.?

    --
    Dag.

    Dag Sunde, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Dag Sunde

    David Segall Guest

    "Dag Sunde" <> wrote:

    >Can anyone reccomend a really hand-helding tutorial for
    >getting started with JBoss development?
    >
    >Like "Look here kid... You create a file named index.jsp, fill
    >it with this code... See that strange tag? that calls an enterprise
    >bean. You make and deply one of those this way..."
    >
    >A somewhat simple sample application that shows how all these things
    >are tied together from the (web) gui, via server business-components,
    >messaging and down to a potential backend db.?

    I hate people who don't answer the question but I recognize your name
    from clvbm so I am encouraged to propose a different approach.
    Download Java Studio Creator from
    <http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/downloads/>.
    Spend a week or two using it to write your own sample application.
    Stick to the included application server and database. Now pull the
    application you have written apart to find out what Studio Creator did
    for you. The application server is from Sun not JBoss but they are all
    Sun certified and obliged to provide mainly common components. You can
    move your application to JBoss to discover the differences.

    David Segall, Feb 28, 2006

  3. Dag Sunde

    Dag Sunde Guest

    "David Segall" <> wrote in message
    > "Dag Sunde" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Can anyone reccomend a really hand-helding tutorial for
    >>getting started with JBoss development?
    >>
    >>Like "Look here kid... You create a file named index.jsp, fill
    >>it with this code... See that strange tag? that calls an enterprise
    >>bean. You make and deply one of those this way..."
    >>
    >>A somewhat simple sample application that shows how all these things
    >>are tied together from the (web) gui, via server business-components,
    >>messaging and down to a potential backend db.?

    > I hate people who don't answer the question but I recognize your name
    > from clvbm so I am encouraged to propose a different approach.
    > Download Java Studio Creator from
    > <http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/downloads/>.
    > Spend a week or two using it to write your own sample application.
    > Stick to the included application server and database. Now pull the
    > application you have written apart to find out what Studio Creator did
    > for you. The application server is from Sun not JBoss but they are all
    > Sun certified and obliged to provide mainly common components. You can
    > move your application to JBoss to discover the differences.

    Thanks, David!

    I think I'll do that...
    :)

    > I hate people who don't answer the question but I recognize your name
    > from clvbm so I am encouraged to propose a different approach.

    Do you mean by this that I am a big enough boy to go out there and figure
    it out myself?
    ;-)

    --
    Dag.

    Dag Sunde, Feb 28, 2006
  4. Dag Sunde

    David Segall Guest

    "Dag Sunde" <> wrote:

    >"David Segall" <> wrote in message

    >> I hate people who don't answer the question but I recognize your name
    >> from clvbm so I am encouraged to propose a different approach.

    >Do you mean by this that I am a big enough boy to go out there and figure
    >it out myself?
    >;-)

    Sorry, it was a rather cryptic remark. I actually meant that you would
    not be ashamed to use a visual design tool to create a program. There
    are several posters here and in alt.html who believe that developing
    with anything other than a text editor, a command line compiler and a
    browser is immoral. Of course, I knew from the _content_ of your clvbm
    posts that you were capable of figuring it out for yourself. :)

    David Segall, Feb 28, 2006
  5. Dag Sunde

    > "Dag Sunde" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"David Segall" <> wrote in message

    >>> I hate people who don't answer the question but I recognize your name
    >>> from clvbm so I am encouraged to propose a different approach.

    >>Do you mean by this that I am a big enough boy to go out there and figure
    >>it out myself?
    >>;-)

    > Sorry, it was a rather cryptic remark. I actually meant that you would
    > not be ashamed to use a visual design tool to create a program. There
    > are several posters here and in alt.html who believe that developing
    > with anything other than a text editor, a command line compiler and a
    > browser is immoral. Of course, I knew from the _content_ of your clvbm
    > posts that you were capable of figuring it out for yourself. :)

    I sort of guessed so... :)

    I was just lazy (and pressed for time durin working hours, so I
    thought I have my cake, and eat it too... ;-)

    But when it comes to learning, I usually tend to agree with those
    preaching text-editor and API-doc. No lesson is better remembered than
    the ones you actually had to work for...

    The difference between "See and semember" vs. "Do and remember" can't
    be overstated.

    --
    Dag.

    Dag Sunde, Feb 28, 2006
  6. Dag Sunde wrote:

    > Can anyone reccomend a really hand-helding tutorial for
    > getting started with JBoss development?
    >
    > Like "Look here kid... You create a file named index.jsp, fill
    > it with this code... See that strange tag? that calls an enterprise
    > bean. You make and deply one of those this way..."
    >
    > A somewhat simple sample application that shows how all these things
    > are tied together from the (web) gui, via server business-components,
    > messaging and down to a potential backend db.?

    Basically it sounds like you need a J2EE tutorial. When you have managed
    to build your own enterprise java application archive, the jboss-part is
    actually narrowed down to copying the file into the jboss deploy
    directory (and set up resources like datasources etc. ...). What to put
    in your jsp-file is definitely not JBOSS specific.

    There is a J2EE tutorial at Sun, which covers all aspects of J2EE, it's
    quite huge.

    I recommend getting hold of a J2EE capable IDE. It'll make things much
    easier for you. Some people will argue that it's better to learn all the
    details first, and then use an IDE later, but there are so many details
    to get right (deployment descriptors and stuff) that I'd rather argue
    you dig into that when you have grokked the basics.

    Sun has some IDE tool for J2EE. Eclipse has a JBOSS plugin and various
    forms of J2EE support. Oracle JDeveloper (otn.oracle.com) is my
    favourite, and Oracle has lots of tutorials for almost everything.

    Jon Martin Solaas, Mar 1, 2006