[SLIGHTLY OT] programmers can be humans and nice

pietro ferrari

Hello fellow rubyists,

I'm sending rough translation of a message posted on the brasilian
ruby forum rubyonbr.org. I hope you like it as much as we did.

"Good morning to the participants of RubyOnBr. Yesterday I watched
Shairon's talk on an event. In fact, I didn't go there to learn Ruby.
I'm a psychologist and public servant of the federal government. I
went there to watch a friend's talk. I arrived earlier and saw a guy
talking about a human and programming language, the act of thinking,
linguistics, grammar, "semiotics", cognitive systems, and other
sciences I had no idea computing studied. He said "you learn ruby
without even wanting," I didn't understand, and he complemented with
an analogy that parodies Descartes "you think on the program,
therefore it exists."

I then asked my son to install the program that understands ruby the
"irb," I grabbed a manual on the internet and started reading,
thinking and "programming." I got very happy for not knowing to
program and "playing" of being a programmer, I am 53 years old felling
capable, and as the speaker said "expressing the thought on a
program."

I'm only saying this here because I got very excited and reading the
forum I saw that programmers can "be humans and nice."

A hug to all and thanks for this experience."

John Joyce

Pietro,
Welcome to the joy of Ruby!
It makes "getting it" a little bit easier.

Ryan Davis

"Good morning to the participants of RubyOnBr. Yesterday I watched
Shairon's talk on an event. In fact, I didn't go there to learn Ruby.
I'm a psychologist and public servant of the federal government. I
went there to watch a friend's talk. I arrived earlier and saw a guy
talking about a human and programming language, the act of thinking,
linguistics, grammar, "semiotics", cognitive systems, and other
sciences I had no idea computing studied. He said "you learn ruby
without even wanting," I didn't understand, and he complemented with
an analogy that parodies Descartes "you think on the program,
therefore it exists."

this sounds awesome... now if only you'd translate the entire talk.
I'd love to see it but I don't know portuguese at all.

what event was it?