[SLIGHTLY OT] programmers can be humans and nice

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by pietro ferrari, Nov 9, 2007.

  1. Hello fellow rubyists,

    I'm sending rough translation of a message posted on the brasilian
    ruby forum rubyonbr.org. I hope you like it as much as we did.

    "Good morning to the participants of RubyOnBr. Yesterday I watched
    Shairon's talk on an event. In fact, I didn't go there to learn Ruby.
    I'm a psychologist and public servant of the federal government. I
    went there to watch a friend's talk. I arrived earlier and saw a guy
    talking about a human and programming language, the act of thinking,
    linguistics, grammar, "semiotics", cognitive systems, and other
    sciences I had no idea computing studied. He said "you learn ruby
    without even wanting," I didn't understand, and he complemented with
    an analogy that parodies Descartes "you think on the program,
    therefore it exists."

    I then asked my son to install the program that understands ruby the
    "irb," I grabbed a manual on the internet and started reading,
    thinking and "programming." I got very happy for not knowing to
    program and "playing" of being a programmer, I am 53 years old felling
    capable, and as the speaker said "expressing the thought on a
    program."

    I'm only saying this here because I got very excited and reading the
    forum I saw that programmers can "be humans and nice."

    A hug to all and thanks for this experience."
    pietro ferrari, Nov 9, 2007

  2. pietro ferrari

    John Joyce Guest

    Pietro,
    Welcome to the joy of Ruby!
    It makes "getting it" a little bit easier.

    John Joyce, Nov 9, 2007

  3. pietro ferrari

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Nov 9, 2007, at 05:56 , pietro ferrari wrote:

    > "Good morning to the participants of RubyOnBr. Yesterday I watched
    > Shairon's talk on an event. In fact, I didn't go there to learn Ruby.
    > I'm a psychologist and public servant of the federal government. I
    > went there to watch a friend's talk. I arrived earlier and saw a guy
    > talking about a human and programming language, the act of thinking,
    > linguistics, grammar, "semiotics", cognitive systems, and other
    > sciences I had no idea computing studied. He said "you learn ruby
    > without even wanting," I didn't understand, and he complemented with
    > an analogy that parodies Descartes "you think on the program,
    > therefore it exists."

    this sounds awesome... now if only you'd translate the entire talk.
    I'd love to see it but I don't know portuguese at all.

    what event was it?
    Ryan Davis, Nov 9, 2007