slightly OT: Python BootCamp

Discussion in 'Python' started by J, Nov 29, 2009.

  1. J

    J Guest

    Ok... so I've been re-teaching myself python, as it's been several
    years since I last really used it. And in the midst of this, my
    contracting company came up to me on Friday and asked if I'd be
    interested in filling a last minute vacancy in this:

    http://www.otg-nc.com/python-bootcamp

    It's a week long Python Bootcamp. I figured, free class, a week where
    I'll not have to actually go to work, AND I'll get paid, sure!

    So I was just wondering if any of you have attended this one, or one
    like it, and what your impressions were. I've attended a few before,
    and found them widely different. The RH300, for example, was
    blisteringly fast and really just touches on things, so if you don't
    already know Red Hat inside and out, you'll never survive. The VMWare
    VCP courses, on the other hand, were fairly languid by contrast and
    seemed to flow in a less frantic state.

    So I figured this would be the place to ask.

    And if it matters, I do have an educational background in programming
    (VB, C++, C, Java, etc) but my professional background has mostly been
    limited to Bash, OCCASIONAL C, and now a touch of Python, so I am not
    new to programming and OO programming, just not as proficient as I
    would like to be...

    Cheers
    Jeff

    --

    Jonathan Swift - "May you live every day of your life." -
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jonathan_swift.html
    J, Nov 29, 2009

  2. J

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    J <> wrote:

    >Ok... so I've been re-teaching myself python, as it's been several
    >years since I last really used it. And in the midst of this, my
    >contracting company came up to me on Friday and asked if I'd be
    >interested in filling a last minute vacancy in this:
    >
    >http://www.otg-nc.com/python-bootcamp

    No opinion, but just wanted to note that this is completely ON-topic for
    comp.lang.python.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
    to post the wrong information.
    Aahz, Nov 29, 2009

  3. J

    Carl Banks Guest

    On Nov 28, 6:15 pm, J <> wrote:
    > Ok... so I've been re-teaching myself python, as it's been several
    > years since I last really used it.  And in the midst of this, my
    > contracting company came up to me on Friday and asked if I'd be
    > interested in filling a last minute vacancy in this:
    >
    > http://www.otg-nc.com/python-bootcamp
    >
    > It's a week long Python Bootcamp.

    I'm surprised they're able to fill out 5 days with intensive training
    on Python.

    :)

    Carl Banks
    Carl Banks, Nov 29, 2009
  4. J

    J Guest

    On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 03:57, Carl Banks <> wrote:
    > On Nov 28, 6:15 pm, J <> wrote:

    >> http://www.otg-nc.com/python-bootcamp
    >>
    >> It's a week long Python Bootcamp.

    > I'm surprised they're able to fill out 5 days with intensive training
    > on Python.
    >
    > :)

    Well, if it's anything like other similar courses I've taken over the
    years, the 10 minute break ever 2 hours will be more like 20 minutes,
    the hour lunch more like 1.5 hours, and the 8:30 to 4:00 times will be
    more like 8:45 to 3:15

    ;)

    but on a serious note, your comment was why I was asking... I was
    trying to figure out just how much python you could teach in an
    assumed 40 hours... but it's also supposed to be probably 80%
    (arbitrary semi-educated guess) hands on coding, and if that's the
    case, each 30 minute project could well be 45 minutes to an hour
    depending on how fast people type, how familiar they are with actually
    properly formatting code, etc...

    --

    Pablo Picasso - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
    answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html
    J, Nov 29, 2009
  5. J

    Steve Howell Guest

    On Nov 28, 6:15 pm, J <> wrote:
    > Ok... so I've been re-teaching myself python, as it's been several
    > years since I last really used it.  And in the midst of this, my
    > contracting company came up to me on Friday and asked if I'd be
    > interested in filling a last minute vacancy in this:
    >
    > http://www.otg-nc.com/python-bootcamp
    >
    > It's a week long Python Bootcamp.  I figured, free class, a week where
    > I'll not have to actually go to work, AND I'll get paid, suore!

    I have never been, but it seems like a no-brainer to attend. Even if
    the class totally sucks, which I doubt, you will also have the
    opportunity to network with people with similar interests.

    If your ONLY objective in life was to learn Python, then I would
    recommend just hitting the books.
    Steve Howell, Nov 29, 2009
  6. J

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    J <> wrote:
    >On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 03:57, Carl Banks <> wrote:
    >> On Nov 28, 6:15=A0pm, J <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.otg-nc.com/python-bootcamp
    >>>
    >>> It's a week long Python Bootcamp.

    >> I'm surprised they're able to fill out 5 days with intensive training
    >> on Python.

    >but on a serious note, your comment was why I was asking... I was
    >trying to figure out just how much python you could teach in an
    >assumed 40 hours... but it's also supposed to be probably 80%
    >(arbitrary semi-educated guess) hands on coding, and if that's the
    >case, each 30 minute project could well be 45 minutes to an hour
    >depending on how fast people type, how familiar they are with actually
    >properly formatting code, etc...

    There are a couple of ways you can get benefit out of this even if the
    class itself isn't that useful for you:

    * Spend time working on Python projects from your job without the
    pressure of being at work

    * Help the other people in the class learn Python, which will cement your
    knowledge

    Aahz, Nov 29, 2009