slightly OT: Python BootCamp

Ok... so I've been re-teaching myself python, as it's been several
years since I last really used it. And in the midst of this, my
contracting company came up to me on Friday and asked if I'd be
interested in filling a last minute vacancy in this:

http://www.otg-nc.com/python-bootcamp

It's a week long Python Bootcamp. I figured, free class, a week where
I'll not have to actually go to work, AND I'll get paid, sure!

So I was just wondering if any of you have attended this one, or one
like it, and what your impressions were. I've attended a few before,
and found them widely different. The RH300, for example, was
blisteringly fast and really just touches on things, so if you don't
already know Red Hat inside and out, you'll never survive. The VMWare
VCP courses, on the other hand, were fairly languid by contrast and
seemed to flow in a less frantic state.

So I figured this would be the place to ask.

And if it matters, I do have an educational background in programming
(VB, C++, C, Java, etc) but my professional background has mostly been
limited to Bash, OCCASIONAL C, and now a touch of Python, so I am not
new to programming and OO programming, just not as proficient as I
would like to be...

Cheers
Jeff

Aahz

Ok... so I've been re-teaching myself python, as it's been several
years since I last really used it. And in the midst of this, my
contracting company came up to me on Friday and asked if I'd be
interested in filling a last minute vacancy in this:

http://www.otg-nc.com/python-bootcamp

No opinion, but just wanted to note that this is completely ON-topic for
comp.lang.python.

Carl Banks

Ok... so I've been re-teaching myself python, as it's been several
years since I last really used it.  And in the midst of this, my
contracting company came up to me on Friday and asked if I'd be
interested in filling a last minute vacancy in this:

http://www.otg-nc.com/python-bootcamp

It's a week long Python Bootcamp.

I'm surprised they're able to fill out 5 days with intensive training
on Python.

:)

Carl Banks

I'm surprised they're able to fill out 5 days with intensive training
on Python.

:)

Well, if it's anything like other similar courses I've taken over the
years, the 10 minute break ever 2 hours will be more like 20 minutes,
the hour lunch more like 1.5 hours, and the 8:30 to 4:00 times will be
more like 8:45 to 3:15

;)

but on a serious note, your comment was why I was asking... I was
trying to figure out just how much python you could teach in an
assumed 40 hours... but it's also supposed to be probably 80%
(arbitrary semi-educated guess) hands on coding, and if that's the
case, each 30 minute project could well be 45 minutes to an hour
depending on how fast people type, how familiar they are with actually
properly formatting code, etc...

Steve Howell

Ok... so I've been re-teaching myself python, as it's been several
years since I last really used it.  And in the midst of this, my
contracting company came up to me on Friday and asked if I'd be
interested in filling a last minute vacancy in this:

http://www.otg-nc.com/python-bootcamp

It's a week long Python Bootcamp.  I figured, free class, a week where
I'll not have to actually go to work, AND I'll get paid, suore!

I have never been, but it seems like a no-brainer to attend. Even if
the class totally sucks, which I doubt, you will also have the
opportunity to network with people with similar interests.

If your ONLY objective in life was to learn Python, then I would
recommend just hitting the books.

Aahz

but on a serious note, your comment was why I was asking... I was
trying to figure out just how much python you could teach in an
assumed 40 hours... but it's also supposed to be probably 80%
(arbitrary semi-educated guess) hands on coding, and if that's the
case, each 30 minute project could well be 45 minutes to an hour
depending on how fast people type, how familiar they are with actually
properly formatting code, etc...

There are a couple of ways you can get benefit out of this even if the
class itself isn't that useful for you:

* Spend time working on Python projects from your job without the
pressure of being at work

* Help the other people in the class learn Python, which will cement your
knowledge