Slightly OT - using PyUIC from Eclipse

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steve Simmons, Apr 30, 2014.

  1. I'm trying to set up a new dev environment using Windows 7; Eclipse
    (Kepler); Python 3.3; PyDev and PyQt 5 and I've hit an issue getting
    PyUIC to generate a python Qt class from within Eclipse.

    I'm using the following setup process (from Google Groups) modified to
    match my PyQt5 configuration:

    1. Click Run -> External Tools -> External Tools Configurations ...
    2. In the resulting dialog, click 'New' icon in the top left
    3. Under 'Name' put 'PyUIC'
    4. Under 'Location' enter 'C:\Program Files\Python\2.5\Python.exe' or
    the path to your Python executable (probably C:\Python25\Python.exe)
    5. Under 'Arguments' enter '"C:\Program Files\Python\2.5\Lib\site-
    packages\PyQt4\uic\pyuic.py" "${resource_loc}"' substituting the path
    to your PyQt4 installation - be sure also to include the double quotes
    6. Change to the 'Common' tab and check 'File' under 'Standard Input/
    Output' and enter '${resource_loc}.py'
    7. Change to the 'Build' tab and uncheck 'Build before launch'
    8. Change to the 'Refresh' tab and check 'Refresh resources upon
    completion'
    9. Click 'Apply' then 'Run'

    and I'm getting the following traceback:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "D:\Development\Python33\Lib\site-packages\PyQt5\uic\pyuic.py",
    line 28, in <module>
    from .driver import Driver
    SystemError: Parent module '' not loaded, cannot perform relative import

    I tried this on Qt4 a week or so ago and it worked OK but Qt5 is giving
    me an error message, so I guess I've either mis-transcribed or there's a
    difference in the directory structure betwee PyQt4 & PyQt5.

    I'm more interested to learn how to read the traceback (insightfully)
    and track it to the source of the problem, although it would be good to
    have it working too!!

    Steve Simmons

    PS Also posted to PyQT list.

    Steve Simmons, Apr 30, 2014