Slow application start but just the first time

Discussion in 'Java' started by Peter Rank, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. Peter Rank

    Peter Rank Guest

    Hi!

    I'm using Java JRE1.6.0_06 on Windows XP, but not as an installed
    version. I just copied the whole directory and call java.exe to start
    my application.
    The application is a Swing application that uses many libraries and at
    the first start (after computer reboot) it lasts approx 30 seconds
    until the login-screen appears.
    After closing the application and start it again it lasts
    apporximately just 2 seconds until the login-screen appears.

    I've had a look in the directory where my installed java version put
    the object cache files but there are no files that has been changed
    after the start of my application.

    Does anyone know why java starts so much faster the second time? Is it
    possible to do something to start my application everytime, also after
    a reboot, as fast as in my second trials?

    Many thanks
    Peter

    Peter Rank, Dec 12, 2008

  2. Peter Rank, 12.12.2008 11:48:
    > Does anyone know why java starts so much faster the second time? Is it
    > possible to do something to start my application everytime, also after
    > a reboot, as fast as in my second trials?

    This is a normal behaviour for _any_ application.

    Windows simply caches all the library files (dll, jar files) that the application reads from the disk during startup. I don't think there is a lot you can do about.

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, Dec 12, 2008