Slow ASP Pages on IIS6 / Windows 2003

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Akerlund, Jun 15, 2007.

  1. Akerlund

    Akerlund Guest

    User clicks a link that displays a customer card and financial stats (has a
    lot of database calls). Every 5 times the user clicks the same page/link it
    takes about 30 seconds (normal response time is <1 second) to display. Then
    you can click 4 times with a normal response time and the 5th the repsone
    time it is 30 seconds again. The page has exactly the same parameters every
    time but there seem to occur some "locking" that stops the action every 5
    calls but I can not understand what this is. For other pages this could be
    every three pages or every ten pages depends omn the amount of database calls.

    Info:
    The exactly same page and database works fine on IIS5 with consistently <1s
    response times no matter how many times the page is displayed in row.

    ASP application moved from IIS5/2000 to IIS6/2003. Database SQL2000 on
    different server (not changed at move).

    Database calls use adodb and are closed (.close() ) when used. Database
    connections is set to Nothing after use.

    Tracing the the database calls on the sql server shows that the calls stop
    for about 30s (last command audit logout) and then commences normally.

    Any suggestions on how to remedy this situation so that the 30s "hickups"
    would disappear?
    Akerlund, Jun 15, 2007

  2. Akerlund

    Akerlund Guest

    Some additional info:
    If I request the page 4 times and then wait more than 30 seconds before I
    request it again I can request it 4 times with 1s response time, then wait 30
    seconds and request 4 times again etc all with 1s response times. Something
    seems to be recycling or released but what?

    Running II6 in IIS 5 isolation mode have the same problems. Using IP or
    hosts file for db connection have the same problems.
    Akerlund, Jun 15, 2007

  3. Akerlund

    GeorgeScott Guest

    Try combining some of those querys into one by joining the tables and

    a) If you only want one record use TOP 1 (select TOP 1 id,first,last
    from table where ID = 5)

    b) Make sure your tables are indexed, if you use say userID =1 and
    CompanyID = 0 in your sql query then be sure that there is an index
    for Record & Company together so it won't have to scan the rows so
    much.

    c) Use 0,1:
    sSQL = Select TOP 1 ID,First,Last from Table where CompanyID =0 and
    userID = 1
    rs.open sSQL, Conn, 0, 1

    Thanks

    George Scott
    http://www.officezilla.com/whatisit.asp

    GeorgeScott, Jun 16, 2007
  4. Akerlund

    Akerlund Guest

    Hi George,
    thank you for your answer, but I fail to understand how that would affect
    that the page works fine on a machine with IIS5 (we are connecting to the
    same database from both the machine with IIS5 and the machine with IIS6).

    We are using indexes on join fields.

    Akerlund, Jun 17, 2007
  5. "Akerlund" <> wrote in message
    > Hi George,
    > thank you for your answer, but I fail to understand how that would affect
    > that the page works fine on a machine with IIS5 (we are connecting to the
    > same database from both the machine with IIS5 and the machine with IIS6).
    >
    > We are using indexes on join fields.

    Have checked the event logs on both the IIS6 and SQL2000 server machines?

    Anthony Jones, Jun 17, 2007
  6. Akerlund

    Akerlund Guest

    Event logs checked on both machines (iis/db) and I can see no entries
    connected to the problems, there are no events at all during the "test" runs
    on either server (rebooted both machines first).

    Akerlund, Jun 17, 2007
  7. Akerlund

    Akerlund Guest

    Did a new install of a web server (2000/IIS5 ) and the error could be
    repeated so now I am thinking that this is a firewall problem (firewall
    changed from Cisco Pix to Microsoft ISA).

    Akerlund, Jun 20, 2007
  8. Akerlund

    Akerlund Guest

    Problem solved.

    "ISA Server limits the number of connections at any given time. You can
    configure the limit, specifying a maximum number of concurrent connections."

    We raised the limit from 1000 to 2000 and now the application runs smoothly.

    More info can be found here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/isa/2004/plan/securityhardeningguide.mspx

    Akerlund, Jun 21, 2007