    compile it as "debug" mode.
    Thanks
    , Jan 29, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > I am debugging my code of visual c++ 6.0.
    > I found it is extremely slow to run after the code is compiled as
    > "debug" mode and OK as "release mode", I would say the difference is
    > around 10x. But I am developing and mainly working on "debug" mode, it
    > is very clumsy to wait for 10 mins for just one run.
    > I did a check and I suppose it is related to the heap check in "debug"
    > mode, so I am wondering if I can turn it off in visual c++ 6.0 when I
    > compile it as "debug" mode.

    We feel your pain.

    Is there a C++ language question hiding here somewhere? Methinks you
    got confused and posted here instead of one of 'microsoft.public.vc.*'
    newsgroups. Your question cannot be answered in terms of C++ language.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 29, 2007

  3. Ron Natalie Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am debugging my code of visual c++ 6.0.
    > I found it is extremely slow to run after the code is compiled as
    > "debug" mode and OK as "release mode", I would say the difference is
    > around 10x. But I am developing and mainly working on "debug" mode, it
    > is very clumsy to wait for 10 mins for just one run.
    > I did a check and I suppose it is related to the heap check in "debug"
    > mode, so I am wondering if I can turn it off in visual c++ 6.0 when I
    > compile it as "debug" mode.
    > Thanks

    You can tweak what optimizations etc... are done in debug mode.
    My guess is however if you are using a lot of stuff (containers,
    strings, etc...) form the library that the issue is the disabling
    of inlining. You could try turning that.

    The proper way to investigate this would be to try a group with
    'micorosoft' in it's name however.
    Ron Natalie, Jan 29, 2007
  4. On Jan 29, 2:02 pm, wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am debugging my code of visual c++ 6.0.
    > I found it is extremely slow to run after the code is compiled as
    > "debug" mode and OK as "release mode", I would say the difference is
    > around 10x. But I am developing and mainly working on "debug" mode, it
    > is very clumsy to wait for 10 mins for just one run.
    > I did a check and I suppose it is related to the heap check in "debug"
    > mode, so I am wondering if I can turn it off in visual c++ 6.0 when I
    > compile it as "debug" mode.
    > Thanks

    I too feel your pain here....

    Thankfully the days of long debugging sessions are long over for me as
    I write small unit tests for every line of code....

    in fact I write one unit test before the application code that will
    make it pass. - rinse and repeat...

    By doing this if I code something that does not make the test pass,
    then because I've only typed a tiny amount of code, I usually delete
    it and start again (instead of debugging it to find out why)

    Strangely this technique is far faster (for me and others YMMV) than
    the typical Code & Debug session. Plus I get a large suite of unit
    tests I can run as many times as I want - nice regression testing
    there!

    If you want to find out more google 'Test Driven Development'

    Andrew
    andrewmcdonagh, Jan 29, 2007
  5. Tim Slattery Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I am debugging my code of visual c++ 6.0.

    You will have a much better chance of getting to somebody who actually
    knows what's going on by posting in microsoft.public.vc.ide_general

    --
    Tim Slattery

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
    Tim Slattery, Jan 29, 2007