Slow debugging with Komodo

Will McGugan

Hi,

On my dev machine (P4 1.7Ghz Win2K) debugging with Komodo is painfuly
slow. There is a delay of several seconds when stepping over a single
line of code. Debugging the same code with Pythonwin is very quick. Does
anyone else experience slow debugging, and is there anyway to speed it up?

TIA,

Will McGugan

Jarek Zgoda

Will McGugan said:
On my dev machine (P4 1.7Ghz Win2K) debugging with Komodo is painfuly
slow. There is a delay of several seconds when stepping over a single
line of code. Debugging the same code with Pythonwin is very quick. Does
anyone else experience slow debugging, and is there anyway to speed it up?

Didn't notice such weirdness, but Komodo is rather RAM-hungry so better
close as many other programs as you can, turn off all IDE features that
you don't need. Oh, and BTW, 512MB RAM is "reasonable minimum"...

Will McGugan

On my dev machine (P4 1.7Ghz Win2K) debugging with Komodo is painfuly
slow. There is a delay of several seconds when stepping over a single
line of code. Debugging the same code with Pythonwin is very quick. Does
anyone else experience slow debugging, and is there anyway to speed it up?

Figured it out..

I was testing Komodo 3 with the file 'xmlrpcdemo.py', and once an
instance of xmlrpclib.Server was created and displayed in either Locals
or the Watch tab, it slowed way down. It seems that when Komodo inspects
this object there is network activity as it contacts the http server!
Other scripts dont show this slowdown.

Will McGugan

Jorgen Grahn

Didn't notice such weirdness, but Komodo is rather RAM-hungry so better
close as many other programs as you can, [...]

Don't know what OS we're talking about, but in all reasonable ones a process
is basically for-free if it doesn't do anything. It will be paged out to
disk in favor of that Komodo thingy.

/Jorgen

Trent Mick

Will said:
Figured it out..

I was testing Komodo 3 with the file 'xmlrpcdemo.py', and once an
instance of xmlrpclib.Server was created and displayed in either Locals
or the Watch tab, it slowed way down. It seems that when Komodo inspects
this object there is network activity as it contacts the http server!
Other scripts dont show this slowdown.

Thanks for tracking that down. Komodo's variable viewer (in the Debug
Output tab) was trying to get information about the "server" object's
attributes. "server" is an xmlrpclib.ServerProxy object. Because of
xmlrpclib.ServerProxy's __getattr__ -- which returns a remote method
callable for each call -- Komodo was unnecessarily resulting in calls to
the server. This will be fixed in the next release so that no remote
calls are made on the "server" object unless the you specifically
request this in the variable view by opening the "server" items tree
view in the "Locals" or "Globals" tabs.

Cheers,
Trent