slow global.asa execution

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by John Beschler, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Why are you running this in global.asa anyway? There has
    to be at least 3 or 4 other BETTER ways to do this.

    The easiest way would be to create a VB script file that
    accomplishes the same thing (the code would be wuite
    similiar to what you have now) and schedule that VB file
    to run at 10:00 am every Friday morning using task
    scheduler.

    HTH,
    John

    my global.asa so
    >that every friday at 10.00 (actually when first new

    session start after this
    >time) send mail to my mailing list (it's automaticaly

    generate content of
    >mail). But problem is that my mailing list is pretty

    large (about 4000
    >adresses), and it takes about 10 minutes to send all

    mail). And the user
    >who's started that session have to wait for 10 minutes

    ('till the global.asa
    >complete execution) to see first page. Is there any way

    in global.asa to
    >initiate execution of other asp page which will send

    mail???

    John Beschler, Aug 4, 2003

  2. John Beschler

    Bola Guest

    Unfortenately, I haven't my own server, so I have shgared hosting, and I
    cannot acceess scheduler. Also, my audience is from diferent part of Planet,
    so I can't do in 4 AM.

    But, thanks for trying to help me.

    Bola, Aug 4, 2003

  3. OK. Here's another option.

    1. Create an APS page that accomplishes your mailing.
    2. On someother computer (can be anywhere) schedule
    Internet explorer (or your favorite web browser) to run
    when you need your mailing to happen with the ASP page
    created in step 1 as the page to load.

    I.E. "C:\program files\internet
    explorer" "http://www.yourserver.com/yourpage.asp"

    The global.asa should be used to initialize your ASP
    environment, not to run code.

    HTH,
    John

    John Beschler, Aug 4, 2003