slow images and IE on asp.net site

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by sviau, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. sviau

    sviau Guest

    any settings i need to set so that IE and other browsers cache the images
    properly, especially during a preload.
    it seems that using IE, the images are being requested each time when
    refresh instead of accessing in browser cache

    do we have to set the cache-control: public in asp.net page; currently its
    set to cache-control:private

    our images are not stored on the web servers but on dedicated image servers
    http://pictures.mls.ca/mls/reb14/highres/1/1657611.jpg

    this is our site with slow listing photo images:
    http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyID=2196284

    i hear that there is a bug with IE; is this true?
    http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol6/javascript_no1.htm

    thanks
    stephane

    sviau, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Hi sviau,

    Thanks for posting in the community!
    From your description, you found that the Images on your web page seems
    always downloaded from the remote url address rather than retrieved from
    local browser cache, yes?

    I've visited the link you provided and visit it via both IE and Mozilla and
    did found that when I refresh the page, IE did cause more time to display
    the images again, seems not using the cached image. In fact, the page use
    the resource in cache first is default behavior so there is not additional
    setting we need to do for the page or on serverside(such as in ASP.NET
    code or ..). And we can find that those images did be downloaded into the
    local Internet Temp folder of the IE Browser. I've searched for some
    reference on the image cache in IE and found that there did exist some
    issues when IE retrieve images in web page. Here are some the web links to
    them:

    #Internet Explorer May Not Use Images Stored in Local Cache
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217196

    #Web Pages Retrieved Using Form Submit Are Not Retrieved from the Cache
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;226972

    So I think this maybe a internal behavior of the IE rather than caused by
    any wrong setting of the web page or... Do you think so?

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 20, 2004

  3. thank you for the resopurces, but they refer to old version of IE; does
    it still impact IE 5+; in particular IE6?

    does the fact that the page header has cache-control: private have
    anything to do with it ?

    thanks
    stephane

    Stephane Viau, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Here are the headers from your site:

    GET /mls/reb14/highres/1/1657611.jpg HTTP/1.1
    Accept: */*
    1.1.4322; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)
    Host: pictures.mls.ca
    Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:29:07 GMT
    Server: thttpd/2.20b 10oct00
    Last-modified: Tue

    This isn't anything you can control on your ASP.NET application-- you need
    to fix the headers on your image delivery servers. For instance, you should
    set a EXPIRES or Cache-control: max-age header. Generally, you do this
    using the Web server software to assign a Content-expiration value for the
    entire folder.

    I could tell you how to do this in IIS, but I'm not sure how to do it in
    thttpd. You'll have to check the docs.

    --
    Thanks,

    Eric Lawrence