    a trusted site. Should I move to Intranet site?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Craig

    NEtsdpace news, Sep 28, 2004

  2. "NEtsdpace news" <> wrote in message
    news:cjaeet$13kt$...
    > I've developed an Intranet app that among other things creates form
    > letters
    > using a VB dll, via a cab file, to access Word functions. It works
    > perfectly
    > and performs well when asked to create the Word documents.
    >
    > However my problem is that it takes >30 seconds for the initial page to
    > display. If I comment out the "<OBJECT>" definition and as a consequence
    > all lines/function referencing that object, the page displays <3 seconds.
    > The object is defined as:
    > <OBJECT ID="docobject"
    > CLASSID="CLSID:9735B64A-792C-8167-5912-18A4B729BBA36"
    > CODEBASE="DOCCAB.CAB#version=-1,-1,-1,-1" HEIGHT="0" WIDTH="0"></OBJECT>
    >
    > All machines inc IIS are XP Pro, unfortunately, they are also SP2. I
    > believe
    > the security settings are fine as it allows the download of the cab file
    > without pop up and the execution of the dll. The site is set up globally
    > as
    > a trusted site. Should I move to Intranet site?
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.

    FWIW, this has nothing to do with ASP.

    Once the client has obtained the CAB it should not need to download again.
    What's with "#version=-1,-1,-1,-1"? That's what the client uses to
    determine if it needs to download the object, and they're not usually
    negative one's ...

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Sep 28, 2004

  3. "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > "NEtsdpace news" <> wrote in message
    > > I've developed an Intranet app that among other things creates form
    > > letters
    > > using a VB dll, via a cab file, to access Word functions. It works
    > > perfectly
    > > and performs well when asked to create the Word documents.
    > >
    > > However my problem is that it takes >30 seconds for the initial page to
    > > display. If I comment out the "<OBJECT>" definition and as a

    consequence
    > > all lines/function referencing that object, the page displays <3

    seconds.
    > > The object is defined as:
    > > <OBJECT ID="docobject"
    > > CLASSID="CLSID:9735B64A-792C-8167-5912-18A4B729BBA36"
    > > CODEBASE="DOCCAB.CAB#version=-1,-1,-1,-1" HEIGHT="0" WIDTH="0"></OBJECT>
    > >
    > > All machines inc IIS are XP Pro, unfortunately, they are also SP2. I
    > > believe
    > > the security settings are fine as it allows the download of the cab file
    > > without pop up and the execution of the dll. The site is set up

    globally
    > > as
    > > a trusted site. Should I move to Intranet site?
    > >
    > > Any help is greatly appreciated.

    > FWIW, this has nothing to do with ASP.
    >
    > Once the client has obtained the CAB it should not need to download again.
    > What's with "#version=-1,-1,-1,-1"? That's what the client uses to
    > determine if it needs to download the object, and they're not usually
    > negative one's ...
    >
    > --
    > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP

    I don't believe my problem is an ASP issue. The app is in ASP (obviously)
    and I am just trying to eliminate coding as the issue. ie I am trying to
    find if anyone thinks my code is incorrect. I dont think it is. If you
    think it is please let me know where and why.
    The "#version=-1,-1,-1,-1" means that the browsers compares the release
    dates on the CAB files to determine whether to download and/or update the
    local version of the CAB.
    Quote from
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...uthor/dhtml/reference/properties/codebase.asp

    "the component is downloaded from the server if the release date is later
    than the installation date on the client computer. If the component is
    installed on the client computer and the release date is the same or earlier
    than the installation date, only an HTTP header transaction occurs."
    OK maybe I should try an HTML/DHTML/XML group.

    NEtsdpace news, Sep 29, 2004