Slow network?

Laszlo Nagy

Hi All,

To make the long story short, I have a toy version of an ORB being
developed, and the biggest problem is slow network speed over TCP/IP.

There is an object called 'endpoint' on both sides, with incoming and
outgoing message queues. This endpoint object has a socket assigned,
with nodelay:

conn.setsockopt(socket.IPPROTO_TCP,socket.TCP_NODELAY,1)

The endpoint is running two separate threads - those are dedicated for
reading/writing messages from/into the socket object, as shown below:

def _process_incoming(self):
try:
while not self.stop_requested.isSet():
data = self.read_str()
while not self.stop_requested.isSet():
try:
self.incoming.put(data,1)
break
except orb.util.smartqueue.Full:
pass
if not self.stop_requested.isSet():
if self.router:
self.router.on_message_arrived(self)
except Exception, e:
if self.router:
if not isinstance(e,TransportClosedError):
self.router.logger.error(dumpexc(e))
self.router.unregister_endpoint(self)
self.shutdown()
raise SystemExit(0)

def _process_outgoing(self):
try:
while not self.stop_requested.isSet():
data_ok = False
while not self.stop_requested.isSet():
try:
data = self.outgoing.get(1)
data_ok = True
break
except orb.util.smartqueue.Empty:
pass
if data_ok:
self.write_str(data)
except Exception, e:
if self.router:
if not isinstance(e,TransportClosedError):
self.router.logger.error(dumpexc(e))
self.router.unregister_endpoint(self)
self.shutdown()
raise SystemExit(0)

The main point is that the sender does not need to wait for the message
to be actually written into the socket (unless the outgoing queue
becomes full).

When I try to send a message and receive an answer for it, I can only
get as much as 130 request+response message pairs per second.
Apparently, it is the same from messages size =77bytes to message
size=16 Kbytes.

However, if I send 100 outgoing messages first, then read back all
answers then the speed goes up to 1300 message pairs/sec. I suspect that
this has something to do with TCP/IP. Since this will be used for
RPC/RMI, it would be very important to lower the time needed to exchange
messages. Is there any way I can speed this up?

Or do you think that this speed is the best I can get? My friend tried
to do the same thing in Java, and he said that he could reach 1000
messages/sec. (Is there a special "socket.flush()" method in Java that
we do not have in Python?)

Thanks,

Laszlo