Slow Performance / Blank Screen for 30 Sec

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by happyinst, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. happyinst

    happyinst Guest

    I am having a problem with an ASP.Net web application that I am not certain
    how to troubleshoot.

    When I view my web app from my computer it shows me a blank screen for about
    30 seconds before finally displaying the page. The green progress bar
    actually goes approximately 90% across after about 2-3 seconds and then it
    just sits there. I have done trace statements and the code is only taking
    about 3 seconds to process... but I am not seeing the page for close to 30
    seconds.

    What makes this problem stranger is that it doesn't happen all of the time.
    One computer in my office seems to have it happen more than the rest. And
    all of the computers are running the same browser (IE 6). It appears to be
    on my first visit to the page from my computer -- but I have ruled out the
    delay being caused by compilation, because I have already visited

    that page from another computer since the project has been compiled and the
    IIS has last been restarted. I have been able to recreate this on computers
    other than mine... but it seems to occur most from my computer.

    Here is what I can deduce:
    - It is not a compilation issue because I have already visited that page
    from another computer since the project has been compiled and the IIS has
    last been restarted.
    - It seems to happen on my production server but not on my test server.
    However, other pages on this production server load quickly.
    - It does not appear to be a coding issue since the trace statements are
    show the same times both when it takes 30 seconds to appear and when it
    takes 3 seconds to appear.
    - It does not appear to be the size of the response being sent back to my
    browser, since the HTML code produced is the same size for both the 30
    second and the 3 second version.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this?

    1. Is there a way to measure the time between when my server receives the
    request and when it sends the response?
    2. Is there any way to measure what is going on in that 30 seconds?

    Thanks,
    happyinst
    happyinst, Jul 10, 2003

  2. happyinst

    happyinst Guest

    Just an additional note...

    Even though it takes 30 seconds for me to view the page the first time I
    visit it from my computer, subsequent visitrs take only 3 seconds.

    Other computers also seem to have a longer time to load on their first visit
    (about 5-7 seconds) and then subsequent visits only take 3 seconds.

    Thanks,
    happyinst
    happyinst, Jul 10, 2003