    matter how simple or complex. I'm seeing the problem on a dozen
    Windows 2003 boxes all built exactly the same way. Has anyone else
    experienced this?

    Brian Gideon, Apr 8, 2008

  2. Brian Gideon

    bruce barker Guest

    you are probably getting some network timeout behavior (maybe authenication
    of the service account). a network trace ought to tell.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Apr 8, 2008

  3. Brian Gideon

    Brian Gideon Guest

    On Apr 8, 1:41 pm, bruce barker
    <> wrote:
    > you are probably getting some network timeout behavior (maybe authenication
    > of the service account). a network trace ought to tell.
    >
    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
    >

    > "Brian Gideon" wrote:
    > > I'm having a problem with the amount of time it takes to initialize an
    > > application pool on IIS 6.0.  Upon the first request to an ASP.NET
    > > page the worker process (w3wp.exe) starts up.  The problem in my case
    > > is that it takes more than 5 minutes to begin servicing requests after
    > > the initial startup.  During that agonizingly long period the process
    > > is doing nothing...and I mean absolutely nothing...0% CPU and no
    > > memory movement at all.  And then all of sudden the CPU spikes and the
    > > page is rendered in a split second.  This happens to any web app no
    > > matter how simple or complex.  I'm seeing the problem on a dozen
    > > Windows 2003 boxes all built exactly the same way.  Has anyone else
    > > experienced this?

    I took a look at the security event log. What I found was
    interesting. Everytime the w3wp.exe process starts up for the first
    time (and I did this at least half a dozen times to verify the
    behavior) the following event will appear 5min and 20s later just
    before the first request is served and delivered to the client.

    It appears as if the WinHttpAutoProxySvc service is being sent some
    kind of control request. I tried starting the service, stopping it,
    disabling it, and setting it to manual and it makes no difference.
    Somehow these events keep appearing just seconds before the worker
    process is finally able to serve requests. I can't help but think it
    is related somehow.

    Event Type: Failure Audit
    Event Source: Security
    Event Category: Object Access
    Event ID: 560
    Date: 10/19/2005
    Time: 3:31:00 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    Computer: APPTEST
    Object Open:
    Object Server: SC Manager
    Object Type: SERVICE OBJECT
    Object Name: WinHttpAutoProxySvc
    Handle ID: -
    Operation ID: {0,1201331}
    Process ID: 612
    Image File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    Primary User Name: APPTEST$
    Primary Domain: LAB
    Primary Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7)
    Client User Name: NETWORK SERVICE
    Client Domain: NT AUTHORITY
    Client Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E4)
    Accesses: Query status of service
    Start the service
    Query information from service

    Privileges: -
    Restricted Sid Count: 0
    Access Mask: 0x94

    Brian Gideon, Apr 8, 2008
  4. Brian Gideon

    Brian Gideon Guest

    On Apr 8, 1:11 pm, Brian Gideon <> wrote:
    > I'm having a problem with the amount of time it takes to initialize an
    > application pool on IIS 6.0.  Upon the first request to an ASP.NET
    > page the worker process (w3wp.exe) starts up.  The problem in my case
    > is that it takes more than 5 minutes to begin servicing requests after
    > the initial startup.  During that agonizingly long period the process
    > is doing nothing...and I mean absolutely nothing...0% CPU and no
    > memory movement at all.  And then all of sudden the CPU spikes and the
    > page is rendered in a split second.  This happens to any web app no
    > matter how simple or complex.  I'm seeing the problem on a dozen
    > Windows 2003 boxes all built exactly the same way.  Has anyone else
    > experienced this?

    Well, I came across KB 944157 published on 2/22/08 describing an issue
    with similar behavior that was fixed in SP1. I'll do some research to
    see if my issue is the same one.

    Brian Gideon, May 10, 2008
  5. Brian Gideon

    Brian Gideon Guest

    On May 9, 8:49 pm, Brian Gideon <> wrote:
    > On Apr 8, 1:11 pm, Brian Gideon <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having a problem with the amount of time it takes to initialize an
    > > application pool on IIS 6.0.  Upon the first request to an ASP.NET
    > > page the worker process (w3wp.exe) starts up.  The problem in my case
    > > is that it takes more than 5 minutes to begin servicing requests after
    > > the initial startup.  During that agonizingly long period the process
    > > is doing nothing...and I mean absolutely nothing...0% CPU and no
    > > memory movement at all.  And then all of sudden the CPU spikes and the
    > > page is rendered in a split second.  This happens to any web app no
    > > matter how simple or complex.  I'm seeing the problem on a dozen
    > > Windows 2003 boxes all built exactly the same way.  Has anyone else
    > > experienced this?

    > Well, I came across KB 944157 published on 2/22/08 describing an issue
    > with similar behavior that was fixed in SP1.  I'll do some research to
    > see if my issue is the same one.

    Yep, I believe that will fix my problem. Here's a blog that mentions
    adding a local account called ProcessIdentity to work around the bug.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/jamesche/arch...first-request-to-asp-net-2-0-application.aspx

    Brian Gideon, May 12, 2008
  6. Brian Gideon

    dananos

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    Clearing Event log

    Hi,

    I had this problem also, and I managed to shave 3 seconds off the first time load by clearing the Event logs on the server.

    Hope this helps

    Dan.

    dananos, Jun 25, 2009