slowdown in JDK 1.6

Roedy Green

I have seen a pattern with JDK 1.6, even with Jet, also in a variety
of old apps that did not do this on older JVMs.

They run slower and slower, speeding up for short periods of time.
Restarting them brings them up to full speed. This is the expected
behaviour if the app were packratting. see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/packratting.html
GC gets more and more frequent, and recovers less and less RAM as it
proceeds. I am suspicious the JVM itself is packratting, not the app.
I have not run any sort of memory profiler.

Has anyone seen this or experimented to figure out what is going on?

Knute Johnson

Roedy said:
I have seen a pattern with JDK 1.6, even with Jet, also in a variety
of old apps that did not do this on older JVMs.

They run slower and slower, speeding up for short periods of time.
Restarting them brings them up to full speed. This is the expected
behaviour if the app were packratting. see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/packratting.html
GC gets more and more frequent, and recovers less and less RAM as it
proceeds. I am suspicious the JVM itself is packratting, not the app.
I have not run any sort of memory profiler.

Has anyone seen this or experimented to figure out what is going on?

I've got some apps that are running for weeks at a time and after I
fixed all the places where I didn't dispose of my JDialogs it was fine.
Most of those are currently running on 1.6.0_00 under XP.

Roedy Green

I think you can run a memory profiler to get more detail of this case.

I was hoping others would know the answer and save me that work. It
might not even be an internal memory problem.

Roedy Green

I have seen a pattern with JDK 1.6, even with Jet, also in a variety
of old apps that did not do this on older JVMs.

one slowdown pattern is not in Java at all but in Flash and Shockwave.
My hypothesis is a laptop will slow down to conserve power if you
don't hit the keyboard for a long time . I discovered these same apps
don't slow down on my desktop machine.