slowing down page loading time

niles

Hello,

To make a website look more relaxed i think the 'page loading time' should
slow down a bit. How to reach this?

I would like to use some sort of <meta> code to let the browser wait a
moment before it goes to the requested next page.

Every article I noticed about page loading time is just about how to speed
up page loading, not about how to slow it down...

Niels

Els

niles said:
Hello,

To make a website look more relaxed i think the 'page

I would like to use some sort of <meta> code to let the
browser wait a moment before it goes to the requested next
page.

Every article I noticed about page loading time is just
about how to speed up page loading, not about how to slow
it down...

That's because no one wants it to slow down.
If I want to surf more relaxed, I just wait a bit longer
before clicking a link. As soon as I click it, I want the next
page. That's why I pressed the button. Not because I wanted to
wait a little longer.

Andrew Urquhart

*niles* said:
To make a website look more relaxed i think the 'page loading time'
should slow down a bit. How to reach this?

I would like to use some sort of <meta> code to let the browser wait a
moment before it goes to the requested next page.

<advice type="bad">Use Microsofts page transitions for use with IE,
everyone loves those said:
Every article I noticed about page loading time is just about how to
speed up page loading, not about how to slow it down...

My preferred method of doing this is to just wait a bit before hitting
the next link, counting sheep sometimes helps, but it's not infallible.

;-)

Neal

Hello,

To make a website look more relaxed i think the 'page loading time'
should
slow down a bit. How to reach this?

I would like to use some sort of <meta> code to let the browser wait a
moment before it goes to the requested next page.

Every article I noticed about page loading time is just about how to
speed
up page loading, not about how to slow it down...

I cannot imagine any benefit to slowing down the Internet. But if that's
what you want, do precisely the opposite of what's recommended. A bloated
table will do the trick. Or a huge string of characters. Perhaps there's
some PHP you could run to cause a delay. Or a very complex Flash object.

If this is related to your other question on making a "loading" page as a
splash, rethink. You're working directly against the way users want a
website to work. Unless you're in a contest to produce an extremely poor
site, abandon this thought.

niles

Neal said:
I cannot imagine any benefit to slowing down the Internet. But if that's
what you want, do precisely the opposite of what's recommended. A bloated
table will do the trick. Or a huge string of characters. Perhaps there's
some PHP you could run to cause a delay. Or a very complex Flash object.

If this is related to your other question on making a "loading" page as a
splash, rethink. You're working directly against the way users want a
website to work. Unless you're in a contest to produce an extremely poor
site, abandon this thought.

Of course that's not what I would like to do, slowing down any net, I just
want to slow down a website on a net to make it more relaxed. E.g. for use
on a console in a museum.

I just wonder if there is a parameter in html that you can use. If not I
think it is strange because an average webdesigner would like to have a
certain influence on 'website behaviour', i would think.

Neal

Of course that's not what I would like to do, slowing down any net, I
just
want to slow down a website on a net to make it more relaxed. E.g. for
use
on a console in a museum.

In this case, a website would not likely be the best choice. You're trying
to use technology designed for more speed and de-engineer it.
I just wonder if there is a parameter in html that you can use. If not I
think it is strange because an average webdesigner would like to have a
certain influence on 'website behaviour', i would think.

I recommend doing a museum "information station" in Flash or something
similar. You can use a setup similar to a website, but the Flash itself
has the pauses and such animated into it.

And BTW, the intelligent web designer knows they cannot assume control
over the user experiece short of presenting the content. Everything else
is optional for the user. But then again, for a true WWW site the object
will always be "faster" because that's what users want. That's the appeal.

If the application is an intranet-type situation like a computer in a
museum, the Flash solution seems ideal. If it's for an actual public web
site, I don't recommend engineering anything in which might slow down the
user's preference for browsing.

Toby A Inkster

Neal said:
Perhaps there's some PHP you could run to cause a delay.

paragraph<?php flush(); sleep(1); ?>
will<?php flush(); sleep(1); ?>
load<?php flush(); sleep(1); ?>
very<?php flush(); sleep(1); ?>
slowly.</p>

Marco Bakker

niles said:
Hello,

To make a website look more relaxed i think the 'page loading time' should
slow down a bit. How to reach this?

I would like to use some sort of <meta> code to let the browser wait a
moment before it goes to the requested next page.

Every article I noticed about page loading time is just about how to speed
up page loading, not about how to slow it down...

Send all your visitors a free 14k4 modem. People love free stuff.

niles

I understand now that it is a nice question to laugh about but still remains
the question how I could script something in a page to give a delay between
the moment that someone hits a link and the moment that the browser reacts.
It would give a quiet moment in someones surfing time, like the low water
between two waves, talking about surfing.

Niels

tlshell

It would give a quiet moment in someones surfing time, like the low water
between two waves, talking about surfing.

The problem with your idea is that most people surfing already get
plenty more "quiet time" than they want while waiting for other pages
to load. What makes you think they'll think waiting for yours is
special?

Mitja

niles said:
I understand now that it is a nice question to laugh about but still

It very much is.
remains the question how I could script something in a page to give a
delay between the moment that someone hits a link and the moment that
the browser reacts.

Where foo is the JS function that does the waiting; search for it, I don't
know it by heart.
It would give a quiet moment in someones surfing
time, like the low water between two waves, talking about surfing.

Sure. One last time, don't. I, as a visitor, would hate it.