Small font on web pages.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Chaddy2222, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Chaddy2222

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Chaddy2222, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Chaddy2222

    John Hosking Guest

    Chaddy2222 wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > This site:
    > http://www.jwam.com.au/
    > Is it just me or is the font-size on this site just a little small too
    > actually read.

    No, both you *and* the Web site are hard to read. ;-)

    The designers of the site (which is a site for designers) have quite
    cleverly used low-contrast dark-gray-on-light-gray for their miniature
    text, not counting where they've used blurry (non-resizeable) images for
    it. How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?

    These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
    message across... :-(

    --
    John
    Read about the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

    John Hosking, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Chaddy2222

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Jan 30, 11:57 pm, John Hosking <>
    wrote:
    > Chaddy2222 wrote:
    > > Hi all.
    > > This site:
    > >http://www.jwam.com.au/
    > > Is it just me or is the font-size on this site just a little small too
    > > actually read.

    > No, both you *and* the Web site are hard to read. ;-)

    Yeah but at leat my websites arn't.

    > The designers of the site (which is a site for designers) have quite
    > cleverly used low-contrast dark-gray-on-light-gray for their miniature
    > text, not counting where they've used blurry (non-resizeable) images for
    > it. How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?
    >
    > These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
    > message across...  :-(

    I think the question needs to be asked, how the hell do they expect to
    get any kind of message across with a site that is so un-readible?!.

    Chaddy2222, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Scripsit Chaddy2222:

    > I think the question needs to be asked, how the hell do they expect to
    > get any kind of message across with a site that is so un-readible?!.

    The obvious explanation is that they haven't got a clue and aren't
    really thinking in terms of communication but self-expression.

    On the other hand, they do get a message across. It's a fairly strong
    message actually. Just as you would get a message across if you had the
    habit of whispering so that people cannot hear you (or would need to
    listen to you extremely carefully) or spitting people on the face.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 30, 2008
  5. Chaddy2222

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:16:47 GMT
    Chaddy2222 scribed:

    > On Jan 30, 11:57 pm, John Hosking <>
    > wrote:
    >> Chaddy2222 wrote:
    >> > Hi all.
    >> > This site:
    >> >http://www.jwam.com.au/
    >> > Is it just me or is the font-size on this site just a little small too
    >> > actually read.

    >> No, both you *and* the Web site are hard to read. ;-)

    > Yeah but at leat my websites arn't.
    >

    >> The designers of the site (which is a site for designers) have quite
    >> cleverly used low-contrast dark-gray-on-light-gray for their miniature
    >> text, not counting where they've used blurry (non-resizeable) images for
    >> it. How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?
    >>
    >> These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
    >> message across...  :-(
    >>

    > I think the question needs to be asked, how the hell do they expect to
    > get any kind of message across with a site that is so un-readible?!.

    They believe the aesthetics of the design are what's most important, and,
    of course, that isn't true. It's a site which will be mostly ignored -
    even by possible customers.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 30, 2008
  6. Chaddy2222

    Bergamot Guest

    John Hosking wrote:
    > Chaddy2222 wrote:
    >> http://www.jwam.com.au/

    > How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?

    What "FOLIO" link?

    > These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
    > message across... :-(

    Too bad the message is unreadable, but then maybe it doesn't have to be
    in their case. If they are a big name firm, they'll get business in
    spite of any usability or accessibility problems with their site.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jan 30, 2008
  7. Chaddy2222

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Jan 31, 8:36 am, Bergamot <> wrote:
    > John Hosking wrote:
    > > Chaddy2222 wrote:
    > >>http://www.jwam.com.au/

    > > How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?

    > What "FOLIO" link?
    >
    > > These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
    > > message across...  :-(

    > Too bad the message is unreadable, but then maybe it doesn't have to be
    > in their case. If they are a big name firm, they'll get business in
    > spite of any usability or accessibility problems with their site.

    But they are in marketing, which means that they need to communicate a
    message in order generally speaking to sell products, or to promote an
    event.
    But if the marketing people do not understand the medium they are
    working with then how do they expect to do well with communicating the
    message.

    Chaddy2222, Jan 31, 2008
  8. Chaddy2222

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    Chaddy2222 <> wrote:

    > On Jan 31, 8:36 am, Bergamot <> wrote:
    > > John Hosking wrote:

    > > > How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?

    > > What "FOLIO" link?
    > >
    > > > These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
    > > > message across...  :-(

    > > Too bad the message is unreadable, but then maybe it doesn't have to be
    > > in their case. If they are a big name firm, they'll get business in
    > > spite of any usability or accessibility problems with their site.
    > >

    > But they are in marketing, which means that they need to communicate a
    > message in order generally speaking to sell products, or to promote an
    > event.
    > But if the marketing people do not understand the medium they are
    > working with then how do they expect to do well with communicating the
    > message.

    It works like this Chaddy, if a company is big enough or lucky
    enough to have a chunk of market and people want your products
    (due to past successes), they will work harder to get them and
    the company does not have to try so hard. It is a short term
    viable, but not long term.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 31, 2008
  9. Chaddy2222

    F F Guest

    F F, Jan 31, 2008
  10. Chaddy2222

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Jan 31, 1:23 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    > m>,
    >

    >  Chaddy2222 <> wrote:

    > > > What "FOLIO" link?

    > > > Too bad the message is unreadable, but then maybe it doesn't have to be
    > > > in their case. If they are a big name firm, they'll get business in
    > > > spite of any usability or accessibility problems with their site.

    > > But they are in marketing, which means that they need to communicate a
    > > message in order generally speaking to sell products, or to promote an
    > > event.
    > > But if the marketing people do not understand the medium they are
    > > working with then how do they expect to do well with communicating the
    > > message.

    > It works like this Chaddy, if a company is big enough or lucky
    > enough to have a chunk of market and people want your products
    > (due to past successes), they will work harder to get them and
    > the company does not have to try so hard. It is a short term
    > viable, but not long term.

    Yes, I do understand that.
    But they offer web design services (hence what I wrote about
    understanding the medium you are working with).

    Chaddy2222, Jan 31, 2008