small outsource project: change host for gnuTellaVision

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Douma, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. This is about a small subcontracting project. This is an interesting
    project which produces interactive graphs of the gnutella network. We
    are updating a python project written by students at Berkeley a few
    years ago. This project is to switch from an out-dated data host to a
    new one.

    The following is a link to the source code for a python project which
    makes radial maps of gnutella hosts:

    http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~rachna/courses/infoviz/gtv/source.html

    The code theoretically works, and the maps look like this:

    http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~ping/gtv/

    But the current code uses gnutellahosts.com. That host is not longer
    active. The project is to make this code work again by using a new host
    cache. Tasks:

    1) Review the code to see the type of data the script requires.

    2) Change the host from "gnutellahosts.com" to something else. See:
    http://gcachescan.jonatkins.com/
    http://loot.alumnigroup.org/

    NOTE: There is an alternative version of this project which you can
    propose. You can propose bid to instead remove ALL gnutella-related
    code, and generate a simple random node structure. We are more
    interested in the animation and layout code than the gnutella code.

    If you are interested, you can contact me at googlePython at ilibi dot
    com , or you can see a posting of this project on the following job
    board: http://www.scriptlance.com/projects/1129015210.shtml
    Michael Douma, Oct 11, 2005