    help me out.....?
    regards,
    deepz

    deepz, Mar 10, 2006

  2. deepz

    Rhino Guest

    "deepz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > hi,
    > am just a beginner in java.can u please suggest me some projects,so
    > that i can work around with that and get myself used to all the inbuilt
    > functions in it.Wanna get good hold an java programming.can u please
    > help me out.....?
    > regards,
    > deepz

    I think it's a very good idea that you find small projects to do; in my
    opinion, this is an excellent way to learn and reinforce your Java skills.
    I've been using this approach for many years.

    I've always invented my own projects. I've conceived of projects in two main
    ways:
    1. I ask myself what programs I could write that would be useful to me right
    now. For instance, if I was about to travel somewhere, I might have currency
    conversions on my mind and might choose to write a currency converter for my
    PDA.
    2. I look at problems that my friends are having and try to think of
    programs that might help them. For instance, if one of my friends had a huge
    library of books or DVDs and was having trouble keeping track of what he
    had, I might offer to write him a program to catalog his books or movies.
    3. I've written games that looked like they might be fun to play or
    interesting to program.

    Other approaches you might want to try are:
    - look at the Java API and see if any particular package catches your eye as
    something that would be especially interesting to learn about; then try to
    conceive of a project that would need that package
    - look at newsgroup posts to get an idea of what classes are especially in
    demand among employers; then try to conceive of a project that uses those
    classes
    - look at newsgroup posts to see what problems other people are solving and
    try to solve them yourself, just for the challenge of it.
    - look at tutorials for Java; sometimes they describe projects and/or
    develop solutions to some aspects of these projects. For instance, the Java
    Tutorial has a Bingo game project. You could write your own Bingo project
    using as much or as little of the code from the tutorial as you like.

    --
    Rhino

    Rhino, Mar 10, 2006

  3. deepz

    Tom Cole Guest

    Write yourself a simple GUI that accepts user information (like an
    address book) that stores the information in a database using JDBC.

    Then allow the form to be filterable (i.e. they can press a filter
    button and enter search criteria in each field, then unclick the filter
    button to get a list of results) with arrow buttons (first, previous,
    next, last) to scroll through the results.

    This should be a good first project.

    Tom Cole, Mar 10, 2006
  4. deepz

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 10 Mar 2006 00:07:23 -0800, "deepz" <>

    > am just a beginner in java.can u please suggest me some projects,so
    >that i can work around with that and get myself used to all the inbuilt
    >functions in it.Wanna get good hold an java programming.can u please
    >help me out.....?

    see http://mindprod.com/projects/projects.html

    Most of the projects may be a little advanced for you at this stage.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Mar 10, 2006
  5. deepz

    Guest

    Using JDBC is a useful thing to learn for just about everyone but I'd
    only learn to build a simple GUI if you are going to be working with
    thick clients. I'd learn the build a simple web app (eg servlets/JSPs
    etc.) first if you have no intention of working with thick clients

    , Mar 10, 2006