small projects to learn STL?

Digital Puer

I'm coming back to C++ (from Java) and would like to spend
a few weeks working with STL. Is there a website or a
book with some small projects using STL that has complete
solutions?

Dan McLeran

I'm coming back to C++ (from Java) and would like to spend
a few weeks working with STL. Is there a website or a
book with some small projects using STL that has complete
solutions?

I would recommend Nicolai Josuttis' book The C++ Standard Libray - A
Tutorial and Reference. The STL portion of this book is the best
around IMHO.

Martijn Lievaart

(e-mail address removed) (Digital Puer) wrote in message

I would recommend Nicolai Josuttis' book The C++ Standard Libray - A
Tutorial and Reference. The STL portion of this book is the best around
IMHO.

Seconded, that is the book to get. While you're at it, get "Effective STL"
as a companion to that.

HTH,
M4

Digital Puer

Martijn said:
Seconded, that is the book to get. While you're at it, get "Effective STL"
as a companion to that.

Thanks for the book recommendations. I have been reading "STL Tutorial
and Reference Guide" by Musser. I am actually looking for small
projects that will allow me to apply my understanding of STL. Do the
books you mention have projects (and hopefully answers) at the end
of the chapters?

Martijn Lievaart

Thanks for the book recommendations. I have been reading "STL Tutorial
and Reference Guide" by Musser. I am actually looking for small
projects that will allow me to apply my understanding of STL. Do the
books you mention have projects (and hopefully answers) at the end
of the chapters?

No. Josuttis is a tutorial and a reference, Meyers is a book with a lot of
tips on do's and don'ts. Both are indispensable in my opinion though.

But using the STL will come in handy on almost any project, so you don't
have to look for an STL book with projects per se.

HTH,
M4