    Is there a version without/separate asianc codecs (which seem to mainly blow
    up python24.dll)? Or how to build one?

    Robert
    Robert, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Re: Small python24.dll / how to strip off asian codecs to separatepackage(s) ?

    Robert wrote:
    > Or how to build one?

    Just download the source, and follow the instructions in
    PCBuild/readme.txt. Then, edit the pythoncore project to remove
    the files you don't want to include, and edit config.c to remove
    the dangling references.

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    thanks, I go for that.

    Wouldn't it be an issue to think about if future win-python distributions
    should keep on including the asian codecs in the main-dll?
    See some reason in including smaller functional pyd's lik zip or even ssl,
    etc. (as they are used regularly in projects >30%) - but asian codecs?

    Robert

    Robert, Sep 24, 2005
  4. Re: Small python24.dll / how to strip off asian codecs to separatepackage(s) ?

    Robert wrote:
    > Wouldn't it be an issue to think about if future win-python distributions
    > should keep on including the asian codecs in the main-dll?

    Indeed, it would. As I said before: if somebody defines a clear, fair
    policy which finds agreement in the community, I'm willing to change the
    current policy on what goes into python24.dll, and what is built
    separately. Bonus points if the policy is accompanied with a patch.
    The policy should not be static, i.e. it should also give a guideline
    for modules introduced in the future.

    At the moment, the policy is this: "everything that does not depend on
    an external library should go into pythonXY.dll". As a result of this
    policy, everybody downloading the sources should be able to build
    Python as long as you have the right version of Visual Studio.

    The reason for this particular policy is that it simplifies maintenance
    if there are only few external .pyd files in the standard distribution.

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Sep 24, 2005