    Thanks for any suggestions!
    -Liam
    PS: Is there a better newsgroup to ask this question in?

    Mechphisto, Sep 10, 2008

  2. Mechphisto

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Mechphisto wrote:
    > I have a client that wants to have a sort of training and tutorial
    > application where users can go through it something like WoW or The
    > Sims.
    > Is this even possible, Web based?
    > Is there a name for this kind of technology I should search for?
    > Is there even a customizable off-the-shelf software package I can look
    > for?
    > Thanks for any suggestions!
    > -Liam
    > PS: Is there a better newsgroup to ask this question in?

    Flash is one option, but that will only work in a few of all the worlds
    possible combination of operating systems and cpu architecture as adobe don't
    support more than Linux on x86, microsoft on x86, OSX on x86/PPC, in the rest
    of cases you have to look at java applets which can run on a more platforms as
    long not using some closed source java calsses developed for one platform only.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Sep 10, 2008

  3. On Sep 10, 2:54 pm, "J.O. Aho" <> wrote:
    > Flash is one option, but that will only work in a few of all the worlds
    > possible combination of operating systems and cpu architecture...

    Horse shit. Tell the whole story, those FEW it will run on make up 95%
    + of the computers that access the web in developed markets.

    --
    Travis
    Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

    Travis Newbury, Sep 10, 2008
  4. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Sep 10, 2:36 pm, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 2:54 pm, "J.O. Aho" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Flash is one option, but that will only work in a few of all the worlds
    > > possible combination of operating systems and cpu architecture...

    > Horse shit.  Tell the whole story, those FEW it will run on make up 95%
    > + of the computers that access the web in developed markets.

    Heh, that's what I was thinking. :)
    I thought of using Flash, it'd work...but would take a LOT of work and
    TONS of actionscripting.
    But then, maybe any other option would also have as much programming.
    I was hoping for some kind of customizable off-the-shelf thing, like
    Lively except one can create multiple "rooms" and "encounters" with
    multiple-choice responses.
    That can be done in Flash, but without the multi-player/trainee
    interaction.
    Guess I could always just add a chat box at the bottom of the page. :)

    Mechphisto, Sep 10, 2008
  5. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Sep 10, 2:47 pm, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 2:36 pm, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Sep 10, 2:54 pm, "J.O. Aho" <> wrote:

    > > > Flash is one option, but that will only work in a few of all the worlds
    > > > possible combination of operating systems and cpu architecture...

    > > Horse shit.  Tell the whole story, those FEW it will run on make up 95%
    > > + of the computers that access the web in developed markets.

    > Heh, that's what I was thinking. :)
    > I thought of using Flash, it'd work...but would take a LOT of work and
    > TONS of actionscripting.
    > But then, maybe any other option would also have as much programming.
    > I was hoping for some kind of customizable off-the-shelf thing, like
    > Lively except one can create multiple "rooms" and "encounters" with
    > multiple-choice responses.
    > That can be done in Flash, but without the multi-player/trainee
    > interaction.
    > Guess I could always just add a chat box at the bottom of the page. :)

    Now that I think of it, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim's "5 Minutes to
    Kill Yourself" game is exactly what I'm looking to do (except...has
    nothing to do with violence) and may be more complex in that more
    options are available to handle encounters.
    http://www.adultswim.com/games/game/index.html?game=fiveMinutes
    But, this kind of environment is exactly what I'm looking for. Except,
    having a multi-"player" feature would be great but impossible in
    Flash.
    Would something like this have to be built "by hand" from the ground
    up, or are there basic customizable packages available for something
    like this?

    Mechphisto, Sep 10, 2008
  6. Mechphisto

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 2:54 pm, "J.O. Aho" <> wrote:
    >> Flash is one option, but that will only work in a few of all the worlds
    >> possible combination of operating systems and cpu architecture...

    > Horse shit. Tell the whole story, those FEW it will run on make up 95%
    > + of the computers that access the web in developed markets.

    As we don't know what the clients requirements are, they could have a setup of
    think clients, of many runs on PowerPC without OSX, you could then calculate
    how successful the project would be.

    Don't forget that Java do run on more platforms and gives you an endless more
    options than flash and even if java is CPU intensive, it don't get up in the
    same level as flash.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Sep 10, 2008
  7. On Sep 10, 5:08 pm, "J.O. Aho" <> wrote:
    > Don't forget that Java do run on more platforms and gives you an endless more
    > options than flash and even if java is CPU intensive, it don't get up in the
    > same level as flash.

    Horse shit again. Do your homework before you open your mouth and
    sound like a fool.

    Travis Newbury, Sep 11, 2008
  8. On Sep 10, 3:57 pm, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    > Now that I think of it, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim's "5 Minutes to
    > Kill Yourself" game...

    I wrote the Actionscript classes that maintain the state of the floors
    in the Aqua teen game a few years back. Short project contract, but
    the offices at cartoon network are great. Tough working crowd, and
    very smart people there. Some of the best Flash developers I have met
    work there.

    > Would something like this have to be built "by hand" from the ground
    > up, or are there basic customizable packages available for something
    > like this?

    There are plenty of classes out there you can find and steal. With
    CS3 you can actually make your animation in the time line and tell
    Flash to turn it into AS code. Also between the tween class and the
    transition class, there is very little that you need to do create
    Actionscript animations.

    Travis Newbury, Sep 11, 2008
  9. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Sep 11, 4:26 am, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 3:57 pm, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    >
    > > Now that I think of it, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim's "5 Minutes to
    > > Kill Yourself" game...

    > I wrote the Actionscript classes that maintain the state of the floors
    > in the Aqua teen game a few years back.  Short project contract, but
    > the offices at cartoon network are great.  Tough working crowd, and
    > very smart people there.  Some of the best Flash developers I have met
    > work there.
    >
    > > Would something like this have to be built "by hand" from the ground
    > > up, or are there basic customizable packages available for something
    > > like this?

    > There are plenty of classes out there you can find and steal.  With
    > CS3 you can actually make your animation in the time line and tell
    > Flash to turn it into AS code.  Also between the tween class and the
    > transition class, there is very little that you need to do create
    > Actionscript animations.

    Thanks for the reply! :)
    I was thinking, though, of needing the AS in order to deal with the
    interactions with the elements in the animation. When the character's
    avatar interacts with a mob/NPC and is presented a question and a
    multiple-choice of possible responses to select from, and the
    accumulation of points for the right response...all that would have to
    be AS code, no?
    Thanks. :)

    Mechphisto, Sep 11, 2008
  10. On Sep 11, 9:37 am, Mechphisto <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply! :)
    > I was thinking, though, of needing the AS in order to deal with the
    > interactions with the elements in the animation. When the character's
    > avatar interacts with a mob/NPC and is presented a question and a
    > multiple-choice of possible responses to select from, and the
    > accumulation of points for the right response...all that would have to
    > be AS code, no?

    There is a ton of code you need to make this. I could not imagine you
    being able to do it without code. But for the individual pieces I
    believe you could piece together enough code to get you started.

    This game you propose is not a simple task.

    Travis Newbury, Sep 11, 2008
  11. Mechphisto

    Els Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Travis
    > Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

    I clicked that link, expecting sort of a fully Flashed Flash site with
    lots of Flash on it. I even waited for the picture at the top to start
    moving! ;-)

    But where you write "Here's the player:", there's a big black gap - no
    FLV player. I don't have anything disabled that I know of, using
    Firefox 3. I can see FLV players on other sites just fine...
    Same for where you say you are displaying the code for the object tag.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Sep 11, 2008
  12. Mechphisto

    Ari Heino Guest

    > But where you write "Here's the player:", there's a big black gap - no
    > FLV player. I don't have anything disabled that I know of, using
    > Firefox 3. I can see FLV players on other sites just fine...
    > Same for where you say you are displaying the code for the object tag.

    I see it just fine with FF3/XP SP3

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/

    Ari Heino, Sep 11, 2008
  13. Mechphisto

    Els Guest

    Ari Heino wrote:

    >> But where you write "Here's the player:", there's a big black gap - no
    >> FLV player. I don't have anything disabled that I know of, using
    >> Firefox 3. I can see FLV players on other sites just fine...
    >> Same for where you say you are displaying the code for the object tag.

    > I see it just fine with FF3/XP SP3

    Good. I don't :)
    FF3 on XP as well, SP1 with all the updates, doesn't make it SP3
    though, does it?
    Any extensions that I would need to see it maybe?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Sep 11, 2008
  14. Mechphisto

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 11 Sep 2008, Els <> wrote:

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> Travis
    >> Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

    > I clicked that link, expecting sort of a fully Flashed Flash site with
    > lots of Flash on it. I even waited for the picture at the top to start
    > moving! ;-)

    The one of Travis? Don't he remind you of one of them small-time hoodlums
    that was in some b-gangster films about 20 or 30 years ago? He-he, he
    might not be _able_ to move.

    > But where you write "Here's the player:", there's a big black gap - no
    > FLV player. I don't have anything disabled that I know of, using
    > Firefox 3. I can see FLV players on other sites just fine...
    > Same for where you say you are displaying the code for the object tag.

    I see it fine, too, like Ari and with the same stuff.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/ http://www.neredbojias.net/

    Neredbojias, Sep 11, 2008
  15. On Sep 11, 2:15 pm, Els <> wrote:
    > >> But where you write "Here's the player:", there's a big black gap - no
    > >> FLV player.

    > > I see it just fine with FF3/XP SP3

    > Good. I don't :)

    You probably have the wrong version of Flash. I don't do version
    checking and it is published with the latest and greatest.

    Travis Newbury, Sep 11, 2008
  16. On Sep 11, 4:13 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > The one of Travis?  Don't he remind you of one of them small-time hoodlums
    > that was in some b-gangster films about 20 or 30 years ago?  He-he, he
    > might not be _able_ to move.

    Na, I was thinking young Paul Newman

    Travis Newbury, Sep 11, 2008
  17. Mechphisto

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 11 Sep 2008, Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Sep 11, 4:13 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> The one of Travis?  Don't he remind you of one of them small-time hoodl

    > ums
    >> that was in some b-gangster films about 20 or 30 years ago?  He-he, he
    >> might not be _able_ to move.

    > Na, I was thinking young Paul Newman

    Like in that flick "The Silver Chalice" where he goes running around in a
    loin cloth with as much buns hanging out as 50s Hollywood would allow?

    Neredbojias, Sep 12, 2008
  18. Mechphisto

    Els Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    >>> I see it just fine with FF3/XP SP3

    >> Good. I don't :)

    > You probably have the wrong version of Flash. I don't do version
    > checking and it is published with the latest and greatest.

    That probably explains why I do see the other site's videos, as they
    used an older version of Flash specifically so that more people could
    see it ;-) (version 8 iirc).

    So, as I don't know much about Flash and stuff, which version should I
    download where to be up-to-date again? My Firefox plugin says it's
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Sep 12, 2008
  19. Mechphisto

    Els Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Els wrote:

    >> So, as I don't know much about Flash and stuff, which version should I
    >> download where to be up-to-date again? My Firefox plugin says it's
    >> Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124.

    > That appears to be the current one:
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

    Yup - I suppose something else is wrong somewhere, noticed another
    site where I can't play a Flash mp3player.

    Searching the web, I found this "explanation" for it:
    http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-10027752-12.html

    Maybe I'll just reinstall FF2 again :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/