Smaller java JRE for portable devices

User3377

I some handheld devices that are more powerful than a PDA but
weaker than then weakest modern desktop. I am trying to upgrade the
Java that is used on these devices WITHOUT doing a proper install by
instead copying the files over to each device.
The problem I'm having is that the current footprint that is left
behind by Java 6 is one of ~75MB. The website said it would have only
been 15MB but that was horribly off after the installation was
complete. I’ve even gone through the files to delete files which will
not be used for my application and I could only bring it down to 67MB.
Is there a version of Java 6 that is available somewhere that is
much smaller than this 75MB install? Or if not is there another
version of Java period (not a downgrade) more in line with Java ME
that can be downloaded?
As far as ME is concerned I’ve search everywhere and couldn’t find
a download. Thank you for your help in advance.

-James

Arne Vajhøj

User3377 said:
[...]

Even a JRE 1.3.1 is probably around 30 MB.

If you need to go down to around 15 MB, then I think you need
to look at some Java ME.

What platform ? Windows on x86 ?

Arne