Smaller package for users without JRE

Alan

Is there any way to package a SMALL Java application for a user
who does not have the JRE installed on his machine?

If I bundle up the JRE folder with my small application, I think
it is 80MB.

Thanks, Alan

Lew

     Is there any way to package a SMALL Java application for a user
who does not have the JRE installed on his machine?

     If I bundle up the JRE folder with my small application, I think
it is 80MB.

There's no point in making a Java application for a user who doesn't
have Java.

80 MB is not very large. There are many native-executable
distributions that are larger than that.

It is strange that your JRE inclusion is so large. The official Sun
JRE installer for Windows is only 15.5 MB. Even the JDK installer for
Windows is only 73.1 MB.

Alan

There's no point in making a Java application for a user who doesn't
have Java.

80 MB is not very large.  There are many native-executable
distributions that are larger than that.

It is strange that your JRE inclusion is so large.  The official Sun
JRE installer for Windows is only 15.5 MB.  Even the JDK installer for
Windows is only 73.1 MB.

What I am doing is taking the already installed JRE folder on my
machine and zipping it up. Then I refer to the right location for the
JRE in a Batch or script file that runs the application.

It is the installed JRE folder that is that large. Alan

Daniel Pitts

Alan said:
What I am doing is taking the already installed JRE folder on my
machine and zipping it up. Then I refer to the right location for the
JRE in a Batch or script file that runs the application.

It is the installed JRE folder that is that large. Alan
I have three things to say about that:
Yikes,
Yikes,
And don't do that!

You're particular JRE folder is not likely to run on your users
computer. They may have a Mac, Linux, Solaris, Windows, or something
else. Point users to http://www.java.com, and let them install the
version of Java that is appropriate.

This has the added benefit of installing it PROPERLY, rather than just
copying files (ever heard of the Windows Registry?)

Lew

Please do not quote sigs.

Not smart.

You completely ignored my points.

Daniel said:
I have three things to say about that:
Yikes,
Yikes,
And don't do that!

Amen to that!
You're particular JRE folder is not likely to run on your users
computer. They may have a Mac, Linux, Solaris, Windows, or something
else. Point users to http://www.java.com, and let them install the
version of Java that is appropriate.

This has the added benefit of installing it PROPERLY, rather than just
copying files (ever heard of the Windows Registry?)

My post was intended as a subtle hint to the OP to use the official
installation instead of zipping their own folder.