Smalltalk/JVM

Jason Jones

We were looking for feedback on turning Smalltalk/JVM into an open source
project.

Smalltalk/JVM is a Smalltalk Compiler that compiles to Java bytecodes and
class files.

Is this something any of you out there in the programming community are
interested in? We would love some feedback.

Mission Software, Inc. has created a Smalltalk compiler for the JVM. This
compiler allows Smalltalk to run on any JVM. The compiler currently produces
100% Java class files fully compatible with the Sun JVM specification. This
allows Smalltalk and Java code to interact seamlessly and allows Smalltalk
programs to run anywhere Java runs.

a.. Compiler compiles Smalltalk classes into Java .class files
a.. Java code callable from Smalltalk code
a.. Smalltalk code callable from Java code
a.. Java classes subclassing Smalltalk classes
a.. Smalltalk classes subclassing Java classes
a.. Development is done in a "surrogate" Smalltalk environment
a.. Execution in any JVM environment
a.. Support for Smalltalk blocks
a.. Support for JIT Compilers
a.. Ability to write Servlets in Smalltalk
a.. Ability to write Applets in Smalltalk (No plug-in required)
a.. No special VM required

Please email any questions or comments to me at (e-mail address removed)

--
Jason Jones
Knowledge Systems Corporation

kjc

Jason said:
[...]

Great idea in if this were 2000.
Not sure it would even matter to the mainstream now.
The story of Smalltalk enthusiasm. Too little too late.

Thomas Weidenfeller

Jason said:
We were looking for feedback on turning Smalltalk/JVM into an open source
project.

Smalltalk/JVM is a Smalltalk Compiler that compiles to Java bytecodes and
class files.

I think you better ask in a Smalltalk group.
Please email any questions or comments to me at (e-mail address removed)

Old usenet rule: You wrote here, you read here.

/Thomas

Tim Tyler

Thomas Weidenfeller said:
Jason Jones wrote:

I think you better ask in a Smalltalk group.

See the corresponding threads in:

comp.lang.smalltalk
comp.lang.smalltalk.advocacy ...and...
ibm.software.vasmalltalk