  1. Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?
    Learning curves any different?

    Thanks!
    English Teacher, Oct 21, 2003

  2. > Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?

    Meaning Perl or Pearl? ;-)

    The answer to your question depends on what are you going to use it for.
    Andrew Shitov, Oct 21, 2003

  3. English Teacher

    Purl Gurl Guest

    Re: SMALLTALK or PERL or Spelling Skills ?

    English Teacher wrote:

    > Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?
    > Learning curves any different?

    Your personal learning curve will be significantly enhanced should you
    elect to pay closer attention to your spelling, English Teacher.

    Purl Gurl
    --
    Size Does Matter
    http://www.purlgurl.net/~godzilla/
    Purl Gurl, Oct 21, 2003
  4. English Teacher

    Purl Gurl Guest

    Andrew Shitov wrote:

    > > Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?

    > Meaning Perl or Pearl? ;-)

    > The answer to your question depends on what are you going to use it for.

    "Do not give to dogs what is holy, neither cast your pearls before swine,
    or they will trample them under their feet and turn and tear you"

    (Matthew 7:6)

    Purl Gurl - Pork Eating Sinner Who Loves Cats.
    --
    Perl FAQs, Perl Documentation
    Apache FAQs, Apache Documentation
    Purl Gurl, Oct 21, 2003
  5. English Teacher

    Vladimir Los Guest

    Cmalltalk ofcrz!

    --

    Non sibi!
    Wlad [UR3LOS]

    Vladimir Los, Oct 21, 2003
  6. English Teacher

    Jay O'Connor Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:35:35 -0700, English Teacher wrote:

    > Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?
    > Learning curves any different?

    Smalltalk would be much better for teaching good programming and design
    techniques, and a heck of a lot easier to learn.

    Perl would be better for teaching something that would probably be more
    immediately financially useful to the learner

    Python would be an excellent moddle ground in teaching something easy to
    learn and well structued, but with more avenues for commercial usage than
    Smalltalk

    --
    Jay O'Connor

    http://www.deskofsolomon.com
    - Online organizational software for teachers
    Jay O'Connor, Oct 21, 2003
  7. (English Teacher) wrote:
    > Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?
    > Learning curves any different?

    Useful to learn or useful to teach? As others said, it all depends on
    what you want to do with the language.

    I don't think Perl is a good language to start with. I'll give you two
    alternatives for perl:

    1. Ruby is said to be greater than (Smalltalk+Perl)/2 to illustrate
    that Ruby has a lot in common with both languages and provides more
    benefit than just a little bit of both worlds.

    2. Python has more users than Ruby but similar features and therefore
    might be a good choice, too.

    There's nothing wrong with Smalltalk, you just have to decide which
    Smalltalk dialect to take ;-)

    Squeak Smalltalk is an interesting language to teach young children
    the basics of computer programming. See http://squeakland.org for the
    details. But Squeak is also suitable for learning computer science at
    any age in many different fields such as graphics, sound, networking
    or interpreter design. And with Squeak knowledge behind there's no
    problem in learning other Smalltalk dialects or other object oriented
    languages as Ruby, Python (or even Java and C# ;-)

    Cheers
    Sascha
    Sascha D?rdelmann, Oct 22, 2003
  8. English Teacher

    Frank ess Guest

    "Sascha D?rdelmann" <> wrote in message
    > (English Teacher) wrote:
    > > Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?
    > > Learning curves any different?

    > Useful to learn or useful to teach? As others said, it all depends on
    > what you want to do with the language.
    >
    > I don't think Perl is a good language to start with. I'll give you two
    > alternatives for perl:
    >
    > 1. Ruby is said to be greater than (Smalltalk+Perl)/2 to illustrate
    > that Ruby has a lot in common with both languages and provides more
    > benefit than just a little bit of both worlds.
    >
    > 2. Python has more users than Ruby but similar features and therefore
    > might be a good choice, too.
    >
    > There's nothing wrong with Smalltalk, you just have to decide which
    > Smalltalk dialect to take ;-)
    >
    > Squeak Smalltalk is an interesting language to teach young children
    > the basics of computer programming. See http://squeakland.org for the
    > details. But Squeak is also suitable for learning computer science at
    > any age in many different fields such as graphics, sound, networking
    > or interpreter design. And with Squeak knowledge behind there's no
    > problem in learning other Smalltalk dialects or other object oriented
    > languages as Ruby, Python (or even Java and C# ;-)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Sascha

    shhh
    Frank ess, Oct 22, 2003
  9. English Teacher

    Scott Zsori Guest

    > Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?
    > Learning curves any different?

    People.. check for crossposts before responding. Damn troll did the
    same thing in the PHP and Coldfusion groups.
    Scott Zsori, Oct 22, 2003
  10. English Teacher

    Victor Guest

    > People.. check for crossposts before responding. Damn troll did the
    > same thing in the PHP and Coldfusion groups.

    After your suggestion, I checked. I see nothing wrong with asking many
    questions in many places. Interesting threads followed.

    Victor

    Victor, Oct 22, 2003
  11. English Teacher

    pr0r3p Guest

    Purl Gurl <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > English Teacher wrote:
    >
    > > Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?
    > > Learning curves any different?

    > Your personal learning curve will be significantly enhanced should you
    > elect to pay closer attention to your spelling, English Teacher.
    >

    > Purl Gurl

    Yes, "purl" is a much better spelling of "perl" than "pearl" is, eh, troll?
    pr0r3p, Oct 27, 2003
  12. English Teacher

    Leicaddict Guest

    (English Teacher) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?
    > Learning curves any different?
    >
    > Thanks!

    They are both useless and dead. Learn Java/JSP/EJB or MS Dotnet (VBnet or C#).
    Leicaddict, Oct 28, 2003
  13. Leicaddict wrote:

    > (English Teacher) wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?
    >>Learning curves any different?
    >>
    >>Thanks!

    > They are both useless and dead. Learn Java/JSP/EJB or MS Dotnet (VBnet or C#).

    apart from the fact that this is FUD, Smalltalk is very good for
    learning even if not used as much as Java or C#, which both will not
    teach you good OO concepts.

    BTW: who needs this Thread on newsgroups for foto equipment???
    Joachim Tuchel, Oct 28, 2003
  14. On 28 Oct 2003 01:12:37 -0800, Leicaddict <>
    wrote:

    > (English Teacher) wrote in message
    >> Which would be a more useful language to learn, Smalltalk or Pearl?
    >> Learning curves any different?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > They are both useless and dead. Learn Java/JSP/EJB or MS Dotnet (VBnet
    > or C#).

    I see, Perl's dead but Java isn't?! (C-hashed was never alive)

    What colour's the sky in your world?

    TW
    Thomas Worthington, Nov 5, 2003
  15. English Teacher

    Alan Browne Guest

    Thomas Worthington wrote:

    >> They are both useless and dead. Learn Java/JSP/EJB or MS Dotnet (VBnet
    >> or C#).

    > I see, Perl's dead but Java isn't?! (C-hashed was never alive)
    >
    > What colour's the sky in your world?

    Whatever the truth, do you have the brains to stop x-posting this
    nonsense to rec.woodworking and the photo groups.
    Alan Browne, Nov 5, 2003
  16. On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 15:18:23 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > Thomas Worthington wrote:
    >
    >>> They are both useless and dead. Learn Java/JSP/EJB or MS Dotnet (VBnet
    >>> or C#).

    >> I see, Perl's dead but Java isn't?! (C-hashed was never alive)
    >>
    >> What colour's the sky in your world?

    > Whatever the truth, do you have the brains to stop x-posting this
    > nonsense to rec.woodworking and the photo groups.

    Oops. Sorry. Not quite got the hang of this newsreader yet.

    TW
    Thomas Worthington, Nov 6, 2003
  17. I don't know smalltalk, but Perl was fairly easy to move to from ksh
    (Unix Korn shell). It's more C-like than ksh, has a bizzillion
    modules to do anything from graphics to networking, and is always
    updated.

    It's current, and quite alive.

    jim h

    http://www.jamesphotography.ca

    More than photographs: free downloads, prizes, a bit of humour...

    Jim Hutchison, Nov 6, 2003