Smart Client Vs Other Techniques

Guest

Hello,

I am trying port a Client/Server application to .Net. This was an offline application and syncs up every day. We have about 300 users that are using Win 98/2000. Original thinking was to use ASP.NET and publish it to the web (The users are getting broadband). Here is the problem we are facing.

We have some UI screens that are very interactive and dynamic. For example one of the screens have up to 10 input fields and changing the value in any of the fields will result in a different output. The users are used to receiving the results with out initiating any action and seeing the results immediately.

I am trying to figure out my options and here are my two options (I think)

1. Use XMLHTTP (or even use post back to write XML to the response stream) and load the XML on the client machine using JavaScript. Handle the changes on the Client with JavaScript. The problem with this I think is spitting too much JavaScript.

2. Use Smart Client technology. As I mentioned earlier my users run Win 98/2000 and use IE 5.0. These people are not admins and the corporate policy does not let them to install any applications. I am not sure how well Smart Client technology fits for this scenario.

I need your suggestions....

Thanks
Srimar

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

One approach here is to build what i call a data delivery tier. This is
essentially a webservice in the backend whose main responsibility is moving
data from the server to the client and back. You can access the data from
the client using script. Here is a link, see if it helps:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/webservice/overview.asp
--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]
Srimar said:
[...]

Kevin Spencer

Hard to say for sure from your description, but with the client machines
configured as you've described, an ActiveX control would be a good
possibility.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer