Smart Debugger (Python)

Discussion in 'Python' started by kraman, Jan 24, 2008.

  1. kraman

    kraman Guest

    kraman, Jan 24, 2008

  2. kraman

    Norm Matloff Guest

    I have something of an obsession with debuggers, so I was glad to see
    this posting. While we're on the subject, I might as well add my own
    small contribution, which I call Xpdb.

    Xpdb is available at http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/xpdb.html
    Quoting from the beginning of that page:

    I tend to use GUI debugging tools with Python, but often find that
    PDB is adequate or even superior. It loads instantly, doesn't take up
    much real estate on the screen, and its ability to set up aliases/macros
    is very valuable. (Note too Rocky Bernstein's new PYDB, at
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
    group_id=61395&package_id=175827.)

    However, I missed having a window that displays my source code and my
    current position in it, so I added such a window to PDB, using
    curses, somewhat analogously to the CGDB variant of GDB (and the -tui
    option in GDB). The result, Xpdb, is available at
    http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Python/Xpdb/Code/. It is
    nothing fancy at all, mainly just a source window capability added
    to PDB (though with a couple of extra new features).

    Norm Matloff
    Norm Matloff, Feb 3, 2008

  3. kraman

    kraman Guest

    On Feb 3, 3:55 pm, Norm Matloff <> wrote:
    > I have something of an obsession with debuggers, so I was glad to see
    > this posting. While we're on the subject, I might as well add my own
    > small contribution, which I call Xpdb.
    >
    > Xpdb is available athttp://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/xpdb.html
    > Quoting from the beginning of that page:
    >
    > I tend to use GUI debugging tools with Python, but often find that
    > PDB is adequate or even superior. It loads instantly, doesn't take up
    > much real estate on the screen, and its ability to set up aliases/macros
    > is very valuable. (Note too Rocky Bernstein's new PYDB, at
    > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
    > group_id=61395&package_id=175827.)
    >
    > However, I missed having a window that displays my source code and my
    > current position in it, so I added such a window to PDB, using
    > curses, somewhat analogously to the CGDB variant of GDB (and the -tui
    > option in GDB). The result, Xpdb, is available at
    > http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Python/Xpdb/Code/. It is
    > nothing fancy at all, mainly just a source window capability added
    > to PDB (though with a couple of extra new features).
    >
    > Norm Matloff

    It'll be helpful if you provide some screenshots on how this work
    kraman, Feb 4, 2008