SmartClient Deployment ? for the gurrus :)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Deasun, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Deasun

    Deasun Guest

    Ok on my work Pc I have a test page with links to a number of smartclient
    exe's.
    With some security mods the rest of the PCs in work can load page and launch
    the apps no problems. Works real nice infact. Bosses love it.
    Heres my problem, we have a VPN setup for a number of people, VIPs, When
    they use this to log into the network from their home PCs my test page loads
    in their IE. When they click on the links it says it is downloading but after
    the progress bar finishes no app appears.

    We disabled all their popup blockers, most are on WinXP H/Pro, with alll the
    latest patches.
    I myself have tried from my home PC. I have WinXP Pro, latest patches, and
    the VS.net on it.
    Same thing happens except I get a VS dialog that wants to run the debugger.
    It says a security exception has occurred.

    I have added the URL to the list of thrusted sites with fulltrust. no help.
    I also when thru Windows explorer to my Work PCs folder which has the exe's
    and clicked on them and get the same message.

    If I copy the apps folder to the client PC and then click on the EXE there
    the app works no problem.

    No heres the strange bit. I have a test app on my home site,
    www.tirnaog.com, called GalleryKeeper. Once the ASP.net security setting is
    setup this app runs fine on my PC and the ones here at work.
    But when logged into the VPN this link would do the download part but never
    run the app.
    Log off the VPN and the link and app worked fine.

    So at this point everything is pointing at the VPN software, cisco VPN, Do
    ye know of any way around this ?
    --
    Deasun
    Home Site: www.tirnaog.com