SmartNavigation doesn't work?

jahyen

I'm trying to track down why SmartNavigation isn't working on a site.
I have created a brand new form, set SmartNavigation=true and added some
text and a button. There is no code in the codebehind file beyond what was
created by visual studio when creating a new web page.
When I click on the button I'm sent back to the top of the page.
What am I missing?

<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="WebForm2.aspx.vb"
Inherits="CKKDB.WebForm2" smartNavigation="True"%>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<title>WebForm2</title>
</HEAD>
<P>top</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>
<asp:Button id="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button"></asp:Button></P>
</form>
</HTML>

jahyen

Checked that already, I'm running IE6 for testing.

I just figured it out, though.

SmartNavigation depends on the aspnet_client directory being accessible from
the root of the virtual server.
The site was running from a new virtual server that didn't have the
aspnet_client directory set up. After copying the directory to the new
virtual server the client could load the required files from
/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/SmartNav.js and SmartNav.htm.