sms api or activeX for javascript to GSM modem

tnhoe

Hi,

I am looking for above. Any recommendation ?

The GSM modem is a data card with phone chip in notebook which can send sms directly without going through other sms gateway URL.

I only need to programming api/lib to send sms.

Regards
Hoe

VK

tnhoe said:
Hi,

I am looking for above. Any recommendation ?

The GSM modem is a data card with phone chip in notebook which can send sms directly without going through other sms gateway URL.

I only need to programming api/lib to send sms.

You did not get the picture right. SMS is a *service* provided by a
particular wireless provider. Some of them (but not all) aditionally
have a web-form on their site to send SMS withing the network you're
subscribed in. Some of them even let you to roam SMS's from that form
to other networks (the actual list may vary greatly). All of them have
limitations on maximum amount of free messages sent from one IP.
There is no way to *simply send SMS* as there is not a modem that would
"simply connect you to the Internet" (without service provider). -
unless I've got your phone ship from Langley so it can spoof any
available wireless network. In the latter case ask for instructions
from the place of origin.

You need to find the most generous wireless provider: thus having a
web-form for SMS with the biggest amount of free messages and the best
roaming coverage.
After you open account with this provider, you can use AJAX to send
your SMS.

VK

Additionally to the previous post
<[email protected]>

Some wireless service providers (like German O2) have official SMS-spam
software. You can install it and subscribe for on of *paid* spamming
plans (usually up to 10,000 SMS per day, there are 100,000/day but it
gets really expensive).
I did not use any of them, but I had to set some for American
customers. Sell my soul, I know :-( :)

In any case the presence or absence of actual wireless hardware on your
computer has no importance. Again - unless you decided to play "Mission
Impossible 3".

VK

VK said:
Some wireless service providers (like German O2) have official SMS-spam
software. You can install it and subscribe for on of *paid* spamming
plans (usually up to 10,000 SMS per day, there are 100,000/day but it
gets really expensive).

Sorry for *good* name of O2 :)
That was Debitel, I just checked by my papers.

Jim Ley

Some wireless service providers (like German O2) have official SMS-spam
software. You can install it and subscribe for on of *paid* spamming
plans (usually up to 10,000 SMS per day, there are 100,000/day but it
gets really expensive).
I did not use any of them, but I had to set some for American
customers. Sell my soul, I know :-( :)

In any case the presence or absence of actual wireless hardware on your
computer has no importance.

It is perfectly possible to send and recieve SMS's on a regular GSM
card in a computer, or even cabled onto a regular phone, it would be
severely limited in performance terms, but there's nothing impossible.

Yes the handset would need to talk to a providers sms gateway and
would need a service provider, however the cost would be the same as
for a regular phone (and with certain contracts you'd only be paying
per outbound and could actually get very cheap unit costs, competitive
with a high performance net gateway.

The proper way to do it is to use one of these gateways, low
performance (in that they'll have difficulty routing to ported numbers
and offer few guarantees) would be someone like www.clickatell.com for
more robust service in the UK, someone like mBlox who provided us with
the Crazy Frog.

I've even talked to the mblox api in javascript, but that was purely
during testing... normally you'd do it in something sensible.

Jim.

VK

Jim said:
It is perfectly possible to send and recieve SMS's on a regular GSM
card in a computer, or even cabled onto a regular phone, it would be
severely limited in performance terms, but there's nothing impossible.

That is an equivalent of sending SMS from your cellphone and it's under
the same limitations for outbound messages as your current plan.

Nearly all cellphones are coming with some connectivity package to use
with IrDA or COM or USB. Among other features in such package you can
usually prepare and send SMS using way more convenient PC keyboard.

But this option has nothing to do with the posed question IMHO. Also
why would one need to buy rather expensive PC GPRS hardware if you can
have exactly the same functionality for $1 (plus subscription plan
which is needed anyway)?

Jim Ley

That is an equivalent of sending SMS from your cellphone and it's under
the same limitations for outbound messages as your current plan.

Yes, hence the "severely limited in performance terms"

but a thousand a day is no problem at all.
But this option has nothing to do with the posed question IMHO. Also
why would one need to buy rather expensive PC GPRS hardware if you can
have exactly the same functionality for $1 (plus subscription plan
which is needed anyway)?

Because most people already own a phone, so there's no actual
purchasing necessary, it also provides incoming SMS handling at
considerably lower cost.

Jim.

VK

Jim said:
Because most people already own a phone, so there's no actual
purchasing necessary, it also provides incoming SMS handling at
considerably lower cost.

OK then. Modem communication goes through the modem build-in AT Set
which is rather different for each modem. There is a bunch of software
for different platform and different browsers to handle it on a higher
level. Same for GSM cards - depending on interfaces exposed by the card
driver. OP needs to check for his particular hardware. There is
absolutely nothing related to JavaScript or ActiveX or any other
web-related scripting in this problem.

tnhoe

Hi,all

Thanks for your reply.

I did use an Edge/Gprs data card with phone chip, plug in a notebook and send SMS to other phone directly using Microsoft SMS Sender software in command line mode from my windows application, and it works as expected.

But this Microsoft SMS Sender software :-
- does not return a value to tell whether the sending is successful
- I want to hide all interative message box from it when sending bulk SMS

So I am looking for alternative api/lib to send SMS via phone modem instead of using Microsoft SMS Sender software.

It is not the hardware/technology problem.
There must be a way to do this because Microsoft SMS Sender can do it.
Only the syntax/api/dll call that all we need.

Regards
Hoe

VK

tnhoe said:
So I am looking for alternative api/lib to send SMS via phone modem

Phone modem has nothing to do with SMS, as SMS has nothing to do with
TCP/IP and Internet.
It is not the hardware/technology problem.

It is exactly that - plus business-related limitations. The wireless
company you're currently using has much more important and profitable
traffic to serve rather than your SMS's. You may go around with 100
-500 SMS per day but even 1,000 is very questionnable. For a serious
project you need to consult with your provider and see what paid offers
do they have. Agin - stop thinking of SMS in terms of e-mail, they are
not anyhow related.
There must be a way to do this because Microsoft SMS Sender can do it.

Please read the bottom of the download page what does the software
actually do:

Only the syntax/api/dll call that all we need.

All you need is some funding for your SMS ad project and the phone # of
the ad department of your wireless provider. They have all software you
need and 1,000 / 10,000 / 100,000 etc. SMS packages.

Again - it has nothing to do with JavaScript in any shall perform form,
and it's very weakly related with the programming as such.

VK

VK said:
All you need is some funding for your SMS ad project and the phone # of
the ad department of your wireless provider. They have all software you
need and 1,000 / 10,000 / 100,000 etc. SMS packages.

Unless you're located in the US there SMS spam is strongly prohibited
unless proven to be in-corporate exchange.
Again - it has nothing to do with JavaScript in any shall perform form,
and it's very weakly related with the programming as such.

Just to repead again.

tnhoe

"VK"

I would like to clarify following :-

Phone modem connected in pc, a SMS software send SMS via the phone modem.
It is what I am doing now, using Microsoft SMS Sender software.

I know SMS always sent via phone modem, and nothing to do with Internet.
The reason I ask for Javascript activeX/api so that I can embed SMS call
programming into my web application.
..
It is exactly what I am using, and I am looking for a better one here.

I have check around SMS gateway and found their charges is much higher. Now
I send SMS directly via phone modem.
Again - it has nothing to do with JavaScript in any shall perform form,
and it's very weakly related with the programming as such.

It is only software problem I faced and I try to turn to Javascript if
possible.
There might be Javascript activex/script available which some of you might
know but I don't know of.
Without asking I wouldn't know.