SMS sending and receiving from website?

globalrev

can i send and receive messages from a website using python?

how would that work with costs? would the mobileowner pay both ways?

John Henderson

globalrev said:
can i send and receive messages from a website using python?

Absolutely. But I'm not clear what you mean by "from a
website". Do you mean to use SMPP protocol to lodge and
receive messages? Or do you want access to your own cellular
hardware from a web interface?
how would that work with costs? would the mobileowner pay both
ways?

That depends on the country, the carrier and the offers/plans
that carrier makes. In most of the civilized world, SMS
receivers pay nothing.

John

globalrev

Absolutely. But I'm not clear what you mean by "from a
website". Do you mean to use SMPP protocol to lodge and
receive messages? Or do you want access to your own cellular
hardware from a web interface?

That depends on the country, the carrier and the offers/plans
that carrier makes. In most of the civilized world, SMS
receivers pay nothing.

John

i want to build a service where you can send an SMS with your
cellphone to my website and then the site will collect the data you
asked for and SMS it back.

so what components would i need for that?

globalrev

i want to build a service where you can send an SMS with your
cellphone to my website and then the site will collect the data you
asked for and SMS it back.

so what components would i need for that?

also, lets say i want to send a SMS to my own phone from the internet.
how would i do that?

Tommy Grav

also, lets say i want to send a SMS to my own phone from the internet.
how would i do that?

While I have seen services that allow you to do that (it has been
awhile),
i think you need to contact a service provider if you want to do this on
any scale beyond a few messages per month. This is a service that is
going to cost you to implement.

Cheers
Tommy

John Henderson

globalrev said:
i want to build a service where you can send an SMS with your
cellphone to my website and then the site will collect the
data you asked for and SMS it back.

so what components would i need for that?

Arguably the simplest route is to use a phone with a serial
connection to a computer, whether that connection be RS232,
USB, IrDA or Bluetooth.

For outgoing messages in large volume, SMS lodgement directly to
an SMSC (message centre) via SMPP over an internet connection
is likely to be a cheaper option in the long term. But that'll
depend on what's on offer in your part of the world.

There's probably some means of receiving messages without using
your own hardware, but I'm not aware of any details.

If using your own hardware, I'd suggest a cellular modem rather
than a handset. These are permanently powered by a low voltage
DC supply, rather than a battery you need to keep charged
without destroying it with constant overcharge.

And a modem is more likely to support text-mode command
interactions with your computer rather than raw PDU-mode
interactions. PDU-mode requires your software to translate
to/from the raw transmitted SMS data, but gives you much
greater control.

The rest is software, and your cost will depend on how you get
or develop that.

You might be able to get a SIM (assuming a GSM or UMTS cellular
device) with very cheap SMS rates. A pre-paid service will
limit your losses if your software ever gets over-enthusiastic
about sending messages.

John

TheSaint

also, lets say i want to send a SMS to my own phone from the internet.
how would i do that?

IMO, nowadays free SMS sending, via internet, is gone. There should be the
chance from one's own subscribed network.