SMTP for ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by David, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hi Group,
    I'm having a few problems with getting an SMTP server configured on my
    Windows 2000 Server web server. My web server is co-located at my hosts and
    i use VNC to remotely access the web server. Acting on advice from my host
    IIS's SMTP server has been disabled by running the IIS lockdown Tool. I
    have internal access to my hosts SMTP server where i can send mail from my
    web site to my own domain email address only, i am not allowed to send email
    external address.

    Does anyone know of a SMTP server that i can use to send emails from my ASP
    website?

    My host suggested Jmail for doing the job. I installed JMail on my web
    server but i am getting the following error:

    "The message was undeliverable. All servers failed to receive the message"

    Can anyone tell me what this error is?
    Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?
    I am correct in my understanding that JMail has its own SMTP server?
    How can i test to see if JMail is working?
    after installing JMail do i include my web server IP address as the SMTP
    server?

    Thanks in advance for any help received

    David

    David, Sep 29, 2003

  2. David

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    JMail does not have its own SMTP server. You need to specify a SMTP server
    (by IP Address, or by domain name). It uses TCP sockets to connect to the
    server (which can be local or remote). This contrasts with CDONTS which can
    only use the local IIS SMTP server.

    Cheers
    Ken

    :

    Ken Schaefer, Sep 29, 2003

  3. JMail needs you to supply it with the address of an SMTP server. In the
    applications I've been writing, I've been using our ISP's SMTP address very
    successfully for more than a year.

    Regards,

    --
    William Morris