SMTP mail error

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mark K., Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Mark K.

    Mark K. Guest

    I am getting this error after approx. 10 -15 minutes of no mail being
    sent thru this system. What I found was that if I go to the server
    that is initiating the traffic(mail) I type telnet mailhost.***.com 25
    and get:

    telnet mailhost.***.com 25
    Trying...
    Connected to mailhost.***.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Connection closed.

    If we re-run the same command immediately after that we get

    : telnet mailhost.***.com 25
    Trying...
    Connected to mailhost.***.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 kch1xv01.***.com Trend Micro InterScan Messaging Security Suite,
    Version: 5.5 ready at Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:13:57 -0500

    If we run it again we will continue to get the second listed response,
    which is correct. Because this seems to be a timeout issue I am
    confused what is missing or misconfigured and where. Here is the error
    itself on the site when executing this call.

    System Error #141220 java.lang.Exception:
    com.inet.utility.ExceptionError: javax.mail.SendFailedException:
    Sending failed;
    nested exception is:
    class javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host:
    mailhost.cna.com, port: 25
    at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java(Compiled Code))
    at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:80)
    at com.inet.utility.SmtpMail.send(SmtpMail.java:154)
    at com.inet.bapp.utility.RiskControlSurveyMail.sendMail(RiskControlSurveyMail.java:102)
    at com.inet.bapp.pageobjects.BappPolIssueBean.processInputData(BappPolIssueBean.java:442)
    at com.inet.core.pageDriverBean.processApp(pageDriverBean.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at com.inet.core.pageDriverBean.startApplication(pageDriverBean.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at CDataServlet.getData(CDataServlet.java(Compiled Code))
    at CDataServlet.doGet(CDataServlet.java:24)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doService(ServletManager.java:827)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:167)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:297)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:110)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstance.service(ServletManager.java:472)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ServletManager.java:1012)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletManager.java(Inlined
    Compiled Code))
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:134)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.java:239)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedInvocation.java:67)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CacheableInvocationContext.invoke(CacheableInvocationContext.java:106)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequestProcessor.java:154)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener.java:315)
    at com.ibm.servlet.engine.http11.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:60)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at com.ibm.ws.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadPool.java:138)

    Mark K., Jun 24, 2004

  2. Mark K.

    Yu SONG Guest

    Mark K. wrote:
    > I am getting this error after approx. 10 -15 minutes of no mail being
    > sent thru this system. What I found was that if I go to the server
    > that is initiating the traffic(mail) I type telnet mailhost.***.com 25
    > and get:
    >
    > telnet mailhost.***.com 25
    > Trying...
    > Connected to mailhost.***.com.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > Connection closed.
    >
    > If we re-run the same command immediately after that we get
    >
    > : telnet mailhost.***.com 25
    > Trying...
    > Connected to mailhost.***.com.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > 220 kch1xv01.***.com Trend Micro InterScan Messaging Security Suite,
    > Version: 5.5 ready at Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:13:57 -0500
    >
    > If we run it again we will continue to get the second listed response,
    > which is correct. Because this seems to be a timeout issue I am
    > confused what is missing or misconfigured and where. Here is the error
    > itself on the site when executing this call.

    I think it's something to do with your SMTP server, not your Java code.
    You may want to try sending the same message again to the SMTP server,
    to see what could happen.

    --
    Song

    /* E-mail.c */
    #define User "Yu.Song"
    #define Warwick "warwick.ac.uk"
    int main() {
    printf("Yu Song's E-mail: %s@%s", User, Warwick);
    return 0;}

    Further Info. : http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~esubbn/

    Yu SONG, Jun 25, 2004

  3. Mark K.

    Sumukh Guest

    right i also think its problem of connection time out. chk connetion
    timeout settings mail server side..

    Sumukh, Jun 25, 2004