SMTP Problems on server with McAfee VirusScan 8.0

D. Shane Fowlkes

Hello!

I just recently started experiencing a major problem on our web server.
Suddenly, all the SMTP mailing scripts quit working and produced this error:

**The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code
was 0x800ccc15. The server response was not available **

Well, after some experimenting, I discovered that all worked just fine (like
it used to) once I disabled the McAfee VirusScan Suite 8.0. I assume a
recent update caused this problem. Obviously, I can't leave the VS disabled
and McAfee has nothing on their site.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Machine is running Windows 2000 Advanced Server with .NET 1.1 installed.
The scripts calling the SMTP is just your ordinary vb.net mail script.

sytse

Hi,

I have the same problem. You can try adding aspnet_wp.exe and w3wp.ex
to the exclusion list as mentioned o
http://www.systemwebmail.com/faq/4.3.9.aspx

It works for some people, not for me though!

My asp.net application says it "could not access 'CDO.Message' object"
what is caused by McAfee. If I disable the port blocking rule it work
fine.

Does someone know any other executables involved?

Cheers, Syts

Guest

Could be the "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail" port blocker.

This stops programs it doesn't recognise from sending emails via port 25.
Its under Access Protection Properties, Port Blocking. You can either disable
the rule or click edit and add new process names to allow access.

Hope this helps.

Jon Edney.
MCP.