    i want to implement my own mail server using JavaMail API on
    Linux platform. But i am not getting the host SMTP which i required
    while sending the mail. Please guide me ......

    mania, Feb 23, 2006

  2. mania wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > When the mail is to be send , there are 2 SMTP servers required.
    > One is senders and another is receivers.
    > As i know from the following site. Just visit :-
    > http://computer.howstuffworks.com/email.htm/printable
    >
    > I want to know that wheather these SMTP servers are implemented by
    > a mail server provider company or these are the SMTP servers of the
    > ISP.
    >
    > i want to implement my own mail server using JavaMail API on
    > Linux platform. But i am not getting the host SMTP which i required
    > while sending the mail. Please guide me ......

    This is not really a java question is it?

    /tom

    tom fredriksen, Feb 23, 2006

  3. mania wrote:
    > When the mail is to be send , there are 2 SMTP servers required.
    > One is senders and another is receivers.

    No, not at all.

    > As i know from the following site. Just visit :-
    > http://computer.howstuffworks.com/email.htm/printable

    If this is what they say on this site, than the site is wrong. Grap the
    SMTP RFC and read it if you want to understand SMTP.

    ?

    > i want to implement my own mail server using JavaMail API on
    > Linux platform.

    That won't work, since JavaMail is targeted at mail clients, not
    servers. But since your definition of mail servers is mixed up, you
    probably want to write a mail client. And yes, one can write such a
    client with JavaMail.

    > But i am not getting the host SMTP which i required
    > while sending the mail. Please guide me ......

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Feb 23, 2006
  4. mania wrote:

    > i want to implement my own mail server using JavaMail API on
    > Linux platform. But i am not getting the host SMTP which i required
    > while sending the mail. Please guide me ......

    Hi mania:

    As Thomas already mentioned, the JavaMail API is only used for
    developing your own version of client e-mail applications such as
    Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, and others.

    To develop your own e-mail server, you could consider an open-source
    solution such as James (Java Apache Mail Enterprise Server). You can
    download it from:

    http://james.apache.org/

    To help you get started using James (should you decide to do so),
    please check out the article I co-authored last Ocotber on Java
    Boutique:

    http://javaboutique.internet.com/reviews/james/

    The article explains why James is a good choice as an e-mail server,
    how to get started, and demonstrates how to use the Mailet API that is
    built into James. The Mailet API allows you to control
    incoming/outgoing mail by developing your own filters, adding footers,
    etc.

    Hope this helps...

    --> Special note to everyone in this group:

    Before anyone gets any funny thoughts in their head about me receiving
    royalty payments from clicking on the link to the article, forget it.
    Don't even go there...

    My co-author and I were paid once and that's it. So enjoy reading it.
    Any feedback (good, bad, or indifferent) would be greatly appreciated.
    That would be more productive, don't you think?

    Oh yes, don't forget that James is open-source, not a commercial
    product...

    I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm just trying to avoid any potential
    conflicts from those that may be over-sensitive to certain things. I'm
    sure we all don't want to deal with unnecessary postings that are
    completely off-topic. If you feel the need to hammer me (for whatever
    reason), please send me a note offline to . I would be
    more than happy to discuss any issues with you.

    Thanks for understanding the need for me to add this disclaimer...

    Best regards,

    Mike.
    -----
    ACGNJ Java Users Group