SMTP

Steven Burn

My server has POP but only has SMTP if sending to my domain, and not other
domains (such as hotmail). I'm therefore wondering, if anyone knows of any
scripts etc, that will allow me to have a sort of "virtual" SMTP server on
my site?. (I really can't afford to use a third party SMTP mailer).

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Steven Burn

Ray.... it just simply......doesn't send them (I'm not quite sure how to
describe it but basically, the e-mails stop at the server).

I spoke to Inspiratech (the people I rent my server from) about it and
they've said SMTP is not available for outside domains and as such, e-mails
that try to relay, or go "outside" of my domain.... are instantly deleted.

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Ray at

What is it that tells you that it cannot send outside of your domain? Have
you looked into the reason it cannot? Perhaps it's relaying to another
server on your network which does not know to accept relaying to external
domains from your server?

Ray at home

Steven Burn

Ray at <%=sLocation%> <myfirstname at lane 34 . komm> wrote in message
Anything in any event logs?

Nothing that I can see, but then, I only have access to my site's log's, not
the mail server log's

That's insane. I can understand them having restrictions so that servers do
not have open relays for spammers to use, but you should be able to send
e-mail out from your server. Do they offer a "smarthost" that you can use
or anything?

No smarthost or anything nope..... :eek:(

I already knew there was no SMTP though. Even from my PC, I have to use a
third party mail server (ArgoSoft Pro) to send e-mails because it's not
supplied on my POP accounts (can send e-mail from the web based mail on my
domain though, which is strange.......and confusing, just not from my PC, or
my site's server).

<snip>

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Ray at

Steven Burn said:
Ray.... it just simply......doesn't send them (I'm not quite sure how to
describe it but basically, the e-mails stop at the server).

Anything in any event logs?
I spoke to Inspiratech (the people I rent my server from) about it and
they've said SMTP is not available for outside domains and as such, e-mails
that try to relay, or go "outside" of my domain.... are instantly deleted.

That's insane. I can understand them having restrictions so that servers do
not have open relays for spammers to use, but you should be able to send
e-mail out from your server. Do they offer a "smarthost" that you can use
or anything?

Ray at home

Steven Burn

Need to use the ISP's SMTP server.

Cheers for the link, I'll take a look.

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Roland Hall

This is your host where you have your domain?
Are they saying they do not offer an SMTP server for your users and they
need to use the SMTP server of the ISP or are they saying there are no
server-side SMTP components? If they support ASP, ...

You can download the components test here:
http://pensaworks.com/prg_com.asp?v=3
.... and test what is running on the server.

--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.

Steven Burn

To send mail to my own POP (those on my it-mate.co.uk domain) accounts I
can;

a: send mail from my mail client (i.e. OE)
b: send mail via the server (i.e. via my website)
c: send mail via my actual mail server itself

To send mail to outside domains (i.e. hotmail.com) I need to;

a: use my ISP's SMTP server
b: use my own third party mail server (in this case; ArgoSoft
Pro.....via OE)
c: use the "web-based" mail on my domain

I cannot (server generated or otherwise);

a: send mail via my mail server, to domains "outside" of my own
b: send mail via my site's server, to domains "outside" of my own

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Roland Hall

Hi Steven...

I need more of a complete answer.

Need to use the ISP's SMTP server for?
Clients sending out mail?
Server generated mail?

Roland Hall

A few more questions:

1. Did you run the test_asp_components.asp file?
2. Are you paying for this hosting?
3. Is the host Inspiratech?
4. Are you hosted on a Microsoft or *nix server?

Steven Burn

Roland Hall said:
A few more questions:

1. Did you run the test_asp_components.asp file?
</snip>

Yes........ several things are showing as installed, and several other
thing's are showing as not installed.

If you need details, can I just send you the URL to the file? (I'd rather
not post it here if thats oks?).

2. Are you paying for this hosting?
</snip>

Yep, pretty darn good price too, hehe ;o)

3. Is the host Inspiratech?
</snip>

Yes

4. Are you hosted on a Microsoft or *nix server?
</snip>

Microsoft Windows 2000

Steven Burn

No / Category / Status / Details / Com
144 Email Not Installed None Available dkQMail
145 Email Not Installed None Available GeoCel
146 Email Not Installed None Available IISMail
147 Email Not Installed None Available SMTP
148 Email Not Installed None Available OpenX
149 Email Not Installed None Available ABMailer
150 Email Not Installed None Available C2GEread

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Steven Burn

Cheers Roland....... URL's sent.

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Roland Hall

Steven Burn said:
If you need details, can I just send you the URL to the file? (I'd rather
not post it here if thats oks?).

I contacted you on your web site.

--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.

Steven Burn

Roland,
I know atleast one component in that list that works oks (CDONTS),
but again, it only works when sending mail to my own mail server......and
not for external one's.

Judging by the ASP component tests you gave me, would I be correct in
saying, I'm basically screwed.......???

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Roland Hall

Steven Burn said:
No / Category / Status / Details / Com
144 Email Not Installed None Available dkQMail
145 Email Not Installed None Available GeoCel
146 Email Not Installed None Available IISMail
147 Email Not Installed None Available SMTP
148 Email Not Installed None Available OpenX
149 Email Not Installed None Available ABMailer
150 Email Not Installed None Available C2GEread

If you run the test_mailer_components.asp file you will see:

CDONTS
ASPMail
ASPQMail
JMail
SA-SmtpMail
ASPEmail
IPWorks
CDOSYS

In the test_asp_components.asp these relate to:

No / Com
1 / CDONTS
26/ Server Objects - ASPMail
27/ Server Objects - ASPQMail