    -----Use link list is a must.

    Thanks!

    , Jun 10, 2008

    On Jun 10, 9:50 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > I have written a snake game. There are 2 levels in the game(I
    > finished 1st level). It can run in VC++ without problem but, when I
    > run it on the dev C++ 4.9.9.2, it cannot run. I want to practice my
    > programming in Dev C++ rather than in VC++. What can I do now?
    >
    > The Game:
    > --- writing a snake game using color console window.
    > 1-player game. The player makes use of 4 arrow keys to operate the
    > movement
    > to chase and eat as much food (#) as possible. Food with a different
    > color has
    > score. The game will end when the snake hits itself or the player hits
    > ESC key.
    > -----Use link list is a must.
    >
    > Thanks!

    You need to post more info regarding the compilation options and the
    error messages you got when you tried to compile in Dev C++, to be of
    more help.

    Shan

    , Jun 10, 2008

  3. Kai-Uwe Bux Guest

    wrote:

    > On Jun 10, 9:50 am, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >> I have written a snake game. There are 2 levels in the game(I
    >> finished 1st level). It can run in VC++ without problem but, when I
    >> run it on the dev C++ 4.9.9.2, it cannot run. I want to practice my
    >> programming in Dev C++ rather than in VC++. What can I do now?
    >>
    >> The Game:
    >> --- writing a snake game using color console window.
    >> 1-player game. The player makes use of 4 arrow keys to operate the
    >> movement
    >> to chase and eat as much food (#) as possible. Food with a different
    >> color has
    >> score. The game will end when the snake hits itself or the player hits
    >> ESC key.
    >> -----Use link list is a must.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > You need to post more info regarding the compilation options and the
    > error messages you got when you tried to compile in Dev C++, to be of
    > more help.

    Also, the OP should post that additional info in a forum where it is
    topical. Compilation options of particular compilers and the quirks of
    platform specific libraries or tricks (needed for color console windows, of
    which standard C++ would not know anything) do not belong here.

    Best

    Kai-Uwe Bux

    Kai-Uwe Bux, Jun 10, 2008

    On Jun 10, 12:50 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > I have written a snake game.  There are 2 levels in the game(I
    > finished 1st level).   It can run in VC++ without problem but, when I
    > run it on the dev C++ 4.9.9.2, it cannot run.    I want to practice my
    > programming in Dev C++ rather than in VC++. What can I do now?
    >
    > The Game:
    > --- writing a snake game using color console window.
    > 1-player game. The player makes use of 4 arrow keys to operate the
    > movement
    > to chase and eat as much food (#) as possible. Food with a different
    > color has
    > score. The game will end when the snake hits itself or the player hits
    > ESC key.
    > -----Use link list is a must.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Owing to the file is quite a lot of code, I think I will use another
    method to tell you the error. But now, I suffer a problem in Dev C++,
    here is the code:
    #include<iostream>
    #include<iomanip>
    #include<string>
    using namespace std;

    struct CarType{
    string maker;
    int year;
    float price;
    }

    void getYourCar(CarType & car);

    int main()
    {
    CarType myCar, yourCar;

    myCar.make = "Mercedes";
    myCar.year = 2008;
    myCar.price = 556653;

    getYourCar(yourCar);

    cout << "Your car is a: " << yourCar.maker << endl;
    cout << fixed << showpoint << setprecision(2) <<
    "I will offer $" << yourCar.price -100 << "for your car."
    <<endl;

    system("pause");
    return 0;

    }

    void getYourCar(CarType & car)
    {
    cout << "Enter your maker: ";
    cin >> car.maker;
    cout << "Enter the year: ";
    cin >> car.year;
    cout << "Enter the price:$";
    cin >> car.price;
    }

    Error messages are gotten.

    Compiler: Default compiler
    Executing g++.exe...
    g++.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp" -o "C:
    \Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.exe" -I"C:\Dev-Cpp\lib
    \gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\include" -I"C:\Dev-Cpp\include\c++
    \3.4.2\backward" -I"C:\Dev-Cpp\include\c++\3.4.2\mingw32" -I"C:\Dev-
    Cpp\include\c++\3.4.2" -I"C:\Dev-Cpp\include" -L"C:\Dev-Cpp\lib"
    C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp:12: error: new types
    may not be defined in a return type
    C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp:12: error: two or
    more data types in declaration of `getYourCar'

    C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp: In function `int
    main()':
    C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp:19: error: 'struct
    CarType' has no member named 'make'

    C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp: In function `void
    getYourCar(CarType&)':
    C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp:35: error: new
    declaration `void getYourCar(CarType&)'
    C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp:12: error: ambiguates
    old declaration `CarType getYourCar(CarType&)'

    Execution terminated

    This code should be no problem, why it still cannot run in Dev C++?

    , Jun 10, 2008
  5. Linlin Yan Guest

    These is no ';' after your struct CarType definition. Does it cause
    your problem?
    And try to use 'void getYourCar(struct CarType & car);' instead?

    Linlin Yan, Jun 10, 2008

    On Jun 10, 7:24 pm, Linlin Yan <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp:12: error: new types
    > > may not be defined in a return type
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp:12: error: two or
    > > more data types in declaration of `getYourCar'

    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp: In function `int
    > > main()':
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp:19: error: 'struct
    > > CarType' has no member named 'make'

    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp: In function `void
    > > getYourCar(CarType&)':
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp:35: error: new
    > > declaration `void getYourCar(CarType&)'
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\structtest.cpp:12: error: ambiguates
    > > old declaration `CarType getYourCar(CarType&)'

    > > Execution terminated

    > > This code should be no problem, why it still cannot run in Dev C++?

    Oh, you are right, it is my careless mistake.
    Now , the following is my snake game's error:
    Compiler: Default compiler
    Building Makefile: "E:\Dev C++\CityU\Snake\Makefile.win"
    Executing make...
    make.exe -f "E:\Dev C++\CityU\Snake\Makefile.win" all
    g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/
    mingw32/3.4.2/include" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward" -
    I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/
    3.4.2" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -g3

    In file included from SnakeList.h:5,
    from FoodList.h:10,
    from main.cpp:13:

    SnakeNode.h:19:7: warning: extra tokens at end of #endif directive

    g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ FoodList.o FoodNode.o main.o SnakeList.o
    SnakeNode.o -o "Snake.exe" -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" colorScreen.a timer.a -
    g3

    Execution terminated
    Compilation successful

    -----------here is SnakeList.h------------------
    #ifndef _SNAKE_LIST_
    #define _SNAKE_LIST_

    #include "colorScreen.h"
    #include "SnakeNode.h"
    #include "FoodList.h"

    class SnakeList
    {
    public:
    SnakeList(ColorScreen& g);
    SnakeList();
    ~SnakeList();

    void adds (ColorScreen g, int x,int y,char in) ;
    //void adds (ColorScreen g,int x,int y,char in) ;

    void display(const SnakeNode* ptr,ColorScreen g,int sx,int sy,char
    in) ;
    void display(ColorScreen g,int sx, int sy,char in) ;

    // function to search X hits body;
    bool search(SnakeNode* ptr);
    bool search();

    void move(ColorScreen g,int x,int y, char in);
    void move(SnakeNode*& ptr,ColorScreen g, int x,int y, char in);

    void clear(SnakeNode*& ptr,ColorScreen g, int sx,int sy);
    void clear(ColorScreen g,int sx,int sy);

    int length (const SnakeNode* ptr) const;
    int length() const;

    private:

    ColorScreen sGame;
    int maxlen,size;
    SnakeNode *head;

    };

    #endif
    ---------------------------------------

    What is wrong?

    , Jun 10, 2008
  7. osmium Guest

    <> wrote:

> [...]

    There are several things in there that make this a non-standard program:
    The use of color, the use of the arrow keys, and the fact that ESC need not
    be followed by <Enter>. The topic cops inhibit answers to questions such as
    this. There is a brand new froup devoted to solving this problem, it is
    comp.lang.c++.misc. Try posting your question there and we will see if the
    cure seems to work.

    osmium, Jun 10, 2008
  8. Lionel B Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:37:37 -0700, osmium wrote:
    > not be followed by <Enter>. The topic cops inhibit answers to questions
    > such as this. There is a brand new froup devoted to solving this
    > problem, it is comp.lang.c++.misc. Try posting your question there and
    > we will see if the cure seems to work.

    Um... does comp.lang.c++.misc actually exist (yet) and if so, where? It
    doesn't show up on my news server or, so far as I can make out, on Google
    Groups.

    --
    Lionel B

    Lionel B, Jun 10, 2008
  9. osmium Guest

    "Lionel B" wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:37:37 -0700, osmium wrote:
    >> not be followed by <Enter>. The topic cops inhibit answers to questions
    >> such as this. There is a brand new froup devoted to solving this
    >> problem, it is comp.lang.c++.misc. Try posting your question there and
    >> we will see if the cure seems to work.

    > Um... does comp.lang.c++.misc actually exist (yet) and if so, where? It
    > doesn't show up on my news server or, so far as I can make out, on Google
    > Groups.

    It was made available on individual.net yesterday. The only message so far
    is an announcement (history, raison d'etre, etc) by a guy with a name I
    didn't recognize. I think the new froup is a Real Good Thing, abandon this
    group to the language lawyers and the green eyeshade set. Then they will
    have this one and the std one and the moderated one for their "mine is
    bigger than yours" talk and their endless fascination with minutiae.

    osmium, Jun 10, 2008
  10. anon Guest

    wrote:

    > SnakeNode.h:19:7: warning: extra tokens at end of #endif directive

    [snip]

    > What is wrong?

    The compiler told you what and where exactly is it wrong.

    anon, Jun 10, 2008
  11. Linlin Yan Guest

    On Jun 10, 9:51 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
> [...]

    > Oh, you are right, it is my careless mistake.
    > Now , the following is my snake game's error:
    > Compiler: Default compiler
    > Building Makefile: "E:\Dev C++\CityU\Snake\Makefile.win"
    > Executing  make...
    > make.exe -f "E:\Dev C++\CityU\Snake\Makefile.win" all
    > g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/
    > mingw32/3.4.2/include"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward"  -
    > I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/
    > 3.4.2"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"    -g3
    >
    > In file included from SnakeList.h:5,
    >                  from FoodList.h:10,
    >                  from main.cpp:13:
    >
    > SnakeNode.h:19:7: warning: extra tokens at end of #endif directive
    >
    > g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ FoodList.o FoodNode.o main.o SnakeList.o
    > SnakeNode.o  -o "Snake.exe" -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" colorScreen.a timer.a  -

    Since here it said 'successful', why did you still ask about wrongs?
    Maybe some functions you used are not standard. So the program can not
    run as you think. I think you can debug into your code, and try to
    find standard way to implement them.

    Linlin Yan, Jun 10, 2008
  12. Default User Guest

    osmium wrote:

    > "Lionel B" wrote:

    > > Um... does comp.lang.c++.misc actually exist (yet) and if so,
    > > where? It doesn't show up on my news server or, so far as I can
    > > make out, on Google Groups.

    > It was made available on individual.net yesterday. The only message
    > so far is an announcement (history, raison d'etre, etc) by a guy with
    > a name I didn't recognize.

    Did it actually go through the usual discussion and voting process? I
    don't recall anything about it.

    Brian

    Default User, Jun 10, 2008
  13. osmium Guest

    "Default User" wrote:

    > osmium wrote:
    >
    >> "Lionel B" wrote:

    >> > Um... does comp.lang.c++.misc actually exist (yet) and if so,
    >> > where? It doesn't show up on my news server or, so far as I can
    >> > make out, on Google Groups.

    >> It was made available on individual.net yesterday. The only message
    >> so far is an announcement (history, raison d'etre, etc) by a guy with
    >> a name I didn't recognize.

    > Did it actually go through the usual discussion and voting process? I
    > don't recall anything about it.

    I didn't follow what was going on, I knew that someone - or group - was
    unhappy with the way things were and was trying to do something about it,
    but I didn't help. I feel that 99.9999999999999% of what goes on in the
    world is beyond my control. There is still only one post on the newsgroup.
    Here is it in it's entirety, posted by Gary L. Burnore. As I said earlier,
    individual.net picked it up yesterday - Monday.

    ---- snip ----
    The Last Call for Comments on 12 May 2008 initiated a five-day period
    for final comments. Following this comment period, the Big-8
    Management Board has decided by consensus to create the newsgroup
    comp.lang.c++.misc.

    For your newsgroups file:
    comp.lang.c++.misc Development in C++, libraries, cross and
    single targets

    comp.lang.c++.misc is an unmoderated newsgroup which will serve as a
    forum for discussing C++ related issues not a part of the language
    standard. This includes development, libraries and single-platform or
    cross-platform C++ programming techniques. Topics that may be
    discussed
    include:

    - Idiom for archiving specific tasks.
    - Discussion of portability issues in C++.
    - Inquiries as to whether a particular library exists, or a list
    of suitable libraries for a given task.
    - Discussions of whether a particular library is any good, or if
    it should be avoided in favor of a different library.
    - Cross-platform programming techniques in general.
    - Particular libraries, how to work with them and how they
    work internally.

    Posting of advertising and/or promotional material of any kind to
    comp.lang.c++.misc is explicitly prohibited. Posting of binaries is
    not permitted, with the exception of small binary components in
    otherwise non-binary postings, such as PGP signatures or X-Face
    headers. Posts must be readable as plain text. HTML, RTF and
    similarly formatted messages are prohibited.

    osmium, Jun 11, 2008

    On Jun 11, 1:53 am, Linlin Yan <> wrote:
    > On Jun 10, 9:51 pm, ""
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > On Jun 10, 7:24 pm, Linlin Yan <> wrote:

    > > > These is no ';' after your struct CarType definition. Does it cause
    > > > your problem?
    > > > And try to use 'void getYourCar(struct CarType & car);' instead?

    > > Oh, you are right, it is my careless mistake.
    > > Now , the following is my snake game's error:
    > > Compiler: Default compiler
    > > Building Makefile: "E:\Dev C++\CityU\Snake\Makefile.win"
    > > Executing  make...
    > > make.exe -f "E:\Dev C++\CityU\Snake\Makefile.win" all
    > > g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/
    > > mingw32/3.4.2/include"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward"  -
    > > I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/
    > > 3.4.2"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"    -g3

    > > In file included from SnakeList.h:5,
    > >                  from FoodList.h:10,
    > >                  from main.cpp:13:

    > > SnakeNode.h:19:7: warning: extra tokens at end of #endif directive

    > > g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ FoodList.o FoodNode.o main.o SnakeList.o
    > > SnakeNode.o  -o "Snake.exe" -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" colorScreen.a timer.a  -
    > > g3

    > > Execution terminated
    > > Compilation successful

    > Since here it said 'successful', why did you still ask about wrongs?
    > Maybe some functions you used are not standard. So the program can not
    > run as you think. I think you can debug into your code, and try to
    > find standard way to implement them.
    >

    > > -----------here is SnakeList.h------------------
    > > #ifndef _SNAKE_LIST_
    > > #define _SNAKE_LIST_

    > > #include "colorScreen.h"
    > > #include "SnakeNode.h"
    > > #include "FoodList.h"

    > > class SnakeList
    > > {
    > > public:
    > >         SnakeList(ColorScreen& g);
    > >         SnakeList();
    > >         ~SnakeList();

    > >         void adds (ColorScreen g, int x,int y,char in) ;
    > >         //void adds (ColorScreen g,int x,int y,char in) ;

    > >         void display(const SnakeNode* ptr,ColorScreen g,int sx,int sy,char
    > > in) ;
    > >         void display(ColorScreen g,int sx, int sy,char in) ;

    > >         // function to search X hits body;
    > >         bool search(SnakeNode* ptr);
    > >         bool search();

    > >         void move(ColorScreen g,int x,int y, char in);
    > >         void move(SnakeNode*& ptr,ColorScreen g, int x,int y, char in);

    > >         void clear(SnakeNode*& ptr,ColorScreen g, int sx,int sy);
    > >         void clear(ColorScreen g,int sx,int sy);

    > >         int length (const SnakeNode* ptr) const;
    > >         int length() const;

    > > private:

    > >         ColorScreen sGame;
    > >         int maxlen,size;
    > >         SnakeNode  *head;

    > > };

    > > #endif
    > > ---------------------------------------

    > > What is wrong?- Hide quoted text -

    Actually, it runs with a cmd-like board without anything. But in VC+
    +, there are pictures and I can play it but in dev C++, it cannot!

    , Jun 11, 2008
  15. Linlin Yan Guest

    On Jun 11, 11:56 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 1:53 am, Linlin Yan <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 10, 9:51 pm, ""

    > > <> wrote:

    > > > Oh, you are right, it is my careless mistake.
    > > > Now , the following is my snake game's error:
    > > > Compiler: Default compiler
    > > > Building Makefile: "E:\Dev C++\CityU\Snake\Makefile.win"
    > > > Executing  make...
    > > > make.exe -f "E:\Dev C++\CityU\Snake\Makefile.win" all
    > > > g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/
    > > > mingw32/3.4.2/include"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward"  -
    > > > I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/
    > > > 3.4.2"  -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"    -g3

    > > > In file included from SnakeList.h:5,
    > > >                  from FoodList.h:10,
    > > >                  from main.cpp:13:

    > > > SnakeNode.h:19:7: warning: extra tokens at end of #endif directive

    > > > g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ FoodList.o FoodNode.o main.o SnakeList.o
    > > > SnakeNode.o  -o "Snake.exe" -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" colorScreen.a timer.a  -
    > > > g3

    > > > Execution terminated
    > > > Compilation successful

    > > Since here it said 'successful', why did you still ask about wrongs?
    > > Maybe some functions you used are not standard. So the program can not
    > > run as you think. I think you can debug into your code, and try to
    > > find standard way to implement them.

    > > > -----------here is SnakeList.h------------------
    > > > #ifndef _SNAKE_LIST_
    > > > #define _SNAKE_LIST_

    > > > #include "colorScreen.h"
    > > > #include "SnakeNode.h"
    > > > #include "FoodList.h"

    > > > class SnakeList
    > > > {
    > > > public:
    > > >         SnakeList(ColorScreen& g);
    > > >         SnakeList();
    > > >         ~SnakeList();

    > > >         void adds (ColorScreen g, int x,int y,char in) ;
    > > >         //void adds (ColorScreen g,int x,int y,char in) ;

    > > >         void display(const SnakeNode* ptr,ColorScreen g,int sx,int sy,char
    > > > in) ;
    > > >         void display(ColorScreen g,int sx, int sy,char in) ;

    > > >         // function to search X hits body;
    > > >         bool search(SnakeNode* ptr);
    > > >         bool search();

    > > >         void move(ColorScreen g,int x,int y, char in);
    > > >         void move(SnakeNode*& ptr,ColorScreen g, int x,int y, char in);

    > > >         void clear(SnakeNode*& ptr,ColorScreen g, int sx,int sy);
    > > >         void clear(ColorScreen g,int sx,int sy);

    > > >         int length (const SnakeNode* ptr) const;
    > > >         int length() const;

    > > > private:

    > > >         ColorScreen sGame;
    > > >         int maxlen,size;
    > > >         SnakeNode  *head;

    > > > };

    > > > #endif
    > > > ---------------------------------------

    > > > What is wrong?- Hide quoted text -

    > Actually, it runs with a cmd-like board without anything.  But in VC+
    > +, there are pictures and I can play it but in dev C++, it cannot!

    Since you use 'int main()' as main function, the application is
    compiled as a console one, which opens the cmd window. Windows
    application's main function must be WinMain(). I think you need to
    check the compiling and linking options.

    Linlin Yan, Jun 11, 2008
  16. On 10 jun, 23:52, "Default User" <> wrote:
    > osmium wrote:
    > > "Lionel B" wrote:
    > > > Um... does comp.lang.c++.misc actually exist (yet) and if so,
    > > > where? It doesn't show up on my news server or, so far as I can
    > > > make out, on Google Groups.

    > > It was made available on individual.net yesterday. The only message
    > > so far is an announcement (history, raison d'etre, etc) by a guy with
    > > a name I didn't recognize.

    > Did it actually go through the usual discussion and voting process? I
    > don't recall anything about it.

    I also don't recall seeing any votes, but it seems genuine.
    At least, I can find a reference to the group in the (moderated)
    groups news.groups.proposals and news.announce.newsgroups.
    Now, we just have to see how many servers will start carrying the new
    group.

    > Brian

    Bart v Ingen Schenau

    Bart van Ingen Schenau, Jun 11, 2008

    On Jun 10, 12:50 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > I have written a snake game. There are 2 levels in the game(I
    > finished 1st level). It can run in VC++ without problem but, when I
    > run it on the dev C++ 4.9.9.2, it cannot run. I want to practice my
    > programming in Dev C++ rather than in VC++. What can I do now?
    >
    > The Game:
    > --- writing a snake game using color console window.
    > 1-player game. The player makes use of 4 arrow keys to operate the
    > movement
    > to chase and eat as much food (#) as possible. Food with a different
    > color has
    > score. The game will end when the snake hits itself or the player hits
    > ESC key.
    > -----Use link list is a must.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Finally,the problem has been solved. Thanks everyone.

    , Jun 11, 2008
  18. Default User Guest

    osmium wrote:

    > "Default User" wrote:

    > > Did it actually go through the usual discussion and voting process?
    > > I don't recall anything about it.

    > ---- snip ----
    > The Last Call for Comments on 12 May 2008 initiated a five-day period
    > for final comments. Following this comment period, the Big-8
    > Management Board has decided by consensus to create the newsgroup
    > comp.lang.c++.misc.

    Ok, I guess it did. I don't recall it here (a logical spot) but it
    seems to have gone through the process.

    It sounds like a useless group to me, but I could be wrong.

    Brian

    Default User, Jun 11, 2008
  19. Default User Guest

    Bart van Ingen Schenau wrote:

    > On 10 jun, 23:52, "Default User" <> wrote:
    > > osmium wrote:

    > > Did it actually go through the usual discussion and voting process?
    > > I don't recall anything about it.

    > I also don't recall seeing any votes, but it seems genuine.
    > At least, I can find a reference to the group in the (moderated)
    > groups news.groups.proposals and news.announce.newsgroups.
    > Now, we just have to see how many servers will start carrying the new
    > group.

    Voting should go through the main group when creating a splinter, but
    that's the Big Six's problem. Maybe it was referenced here and I missed
    it.

    Brian

  20. Lionel B Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:46:24 -0700, osmium wrote:

    > "Lionel B" wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:37:37 -0700, osmium wrote:
    >>> not be followed by <Enter>. The topic cops inhibit answers to
    >>> questions such as this. There is a brand new froup devoted to solving
    >>> this problem, it is comp.lang.c++.misc. Try posting your question
    >>> there and we will see if the cure seems to work.

    >> Um... does comp.lang.c++.misc actually exist (yet) and if so, where? It
    >> doesn't show up on my news server or, so far as I can make out, on
    >> Google Groups.

    > It was made available on individual.net yesterday. The only message so
    > far is an announcement (history, raison d'etre, etc) by a guy with a
    > name I didn't recognize. I think the new froup is a Real Good Thing,

    Maybe, maybe not. Have to see whether it takes off and is actually useful
    to anyone.

    > abandon this group to the language lawyers and the green eyeshade set.

    Um... this ng exists specifically to discuss C++ *language* issues. As I
    understand it the whole idea of this new group was to create a forum to
    discuss non-language-specific issues which nonetheless pertain to C++. If
    it does take off - and thereby reduces the (substantial) noise of non-
    language issues raised in this ng - then as far as I'm concerned that'll
    be a Real Good Thing. Whether that will happen remains to be seen.

    As I see it, most of the OT posts here relate to platform/compiler/
    library/... issues, which generally have their *own* forums anyway; so
    I'm a bit sceptical as to what purpose the new group serves. But we'll
    have to wait and see.

    > Then they will have this one and the std one and the moderated one for
    > their "mine is bigger than yours" talk

    Actually, I think the new ng would be an excellent forum for the willy-
    waver contingent. Please let them all go there, now ;-)

    > and their endless fascination with minutiae.

    Well, sometimes the minutiae bites... C++ is like that.

    --
    Lionel B

    Lionel B, Jun 12, 2008