SNPP proxy

rmanohar

Hello,

I am behind a firewall and the only way i know of to acess external
hostnames is through proxy. I am trying to write a SNPP perl program to
send text pages (port 444 is open on firewall) but not sure how to go
about setting up the connection through proxy.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Mark Clements

Hello,

I am behind a firewall and the only way i know of to acess external
hostnames is through proxy. I am trying to write a SNPP perl program to
send text pages (port 444 is open on firewall) but not sure how to go
about setting up the connection through proxy.

Some (jumbled) thoughts:

I'm not familiar with SNPP, but if the necessary port is open on the
firewall, why do you need to worry about a proxy? You've mentioned
external "hostnames" rather than "hosts", but I'll assume you're not
talking about DNS. Are you using Net::SNPP?

Mark

rmanohar

I am using Net::SNPP, port 444 is open on the firewall but I still can
only resolve (DNS) intranet hosts and NOT internet hosts. The only way
we currently access external hosts (web, telnet etc) is through a proxy
server.

Mark Clements

I am using Net::SNPP, port 444 is open on the firewall but I still can
only resolve (DNS) intranet hosts and NOT internet hosts. The only way
we currently access external hosts (web, telnet etc) is through a proxy
server.

OK: so the proxy system can resolve DNS, at least. Can you not configure
a DNS forwarder on this system that you can use as a DNS server for
requests for external names?

Short of configuring DNS so that you can resolve external addresses, can
you get Net::SNPP to work if you feed it IP addresses rather than the
DNS names?

Mark