    --
    Raj

    , Jan 24, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am behind a firewall and the only way i know of to acess external
    > hostnames is through proxy. I am trying to write a SNPP perl program to
    > send text pages (port 444 is open on firewall) but not sure how to go
    > about setting up the connection through proxy.

    Some (jumbled) thoughts:

    I'm not familiar with SNPP, but if the necessary port is open on the
    firewall, why do you need to worry about a proxy? You've mentioned
    external "hostnames" rather than "hosts", but I'll assume you're not
    talking about DNS. Are you using Net::SNPP?

    Mark

    Mark Clements, Jan 24, 2007

    I am using Net::SNPP, port 444 is open on the firewall but I still can
    only resolve (DNS) intranet hosts and NOT internet hosts. The only way
    we currently access external hosts (web, telnet etc) is through a proxy
    server.

    On Jan 24, 2:51 pm, Mark Clements <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I am behind a firewall and the only way i know of to acess external
    > > hostnames is through proxy. I am trying to write a SNPP perl program to
    > > send text pages (port 444 is open on firewall) but not sure how to go
    > > about setting up the connection through proxy.Some (jumbled) thoughts:

    > I'm not familiar with SNPP, but if the necessary port is open on the
    > firewall, why do you need to worry about a proxy? You've mentioned
    > external "hostnames" rather than "hosts", but I'll assume you're not
    > talking about DNS. Are you using Net::SNPP?
    >
    > Mark

    , Jan 24, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > I am using Net::SNPP, port 444 is open on the firewall but I still can
    > only resolve (DNS) intranet hosts and NOT internet hosts. The only way
    > we currently access external hosts (web, telnet etc) is through a proxy
    > server.

    OK: so the proxy system can resolve DNS, at least. Can you not configure
    a DNS forwarder on this system that you can use as a DNS server for
    requests for external names?

    Short of configuring DNS so that you can resolve external addresses, can
    you get Net::SNPP to work if you feed it IP addresses rather than the
    DNS names?

    Mark

    Mark Clements, Jan 25, 2007