SNTP

AlexM

Hello All,

Is there any way to pull the date via SNTP from a timeserver with ASP /
VBscript?

Thank you,
Alex

Ray at

You could try this. I think you may run into permissions issues though that
go along with the same issues you'd find when trying to access a network
share. http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168

Response.Write "\\server SNTP server is" & GetSNTPServerSetting("\\server")
& "<br>"
Response.Write "\\server's time is" & GetTime("\\server")

Function GetSNTPServerSetting(hostName)
Dim sCommand, oShell, oExec
sCommand = "%comspec% /c @echo off & for /f ""tokens=6"" %a in ('net
time " & hostName & " /querysntp') do echo %a"
Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set oExec = oShell.Exec(sCommand)
GetSNTPServerSetting = oExec.StdOut.ReadAll
Set oExec = Nothing
Set oShell = Nothing
End Function

Function GetTime(hostName)
Dim sCommand, oShell, oExec
sCommand = "%comspec% /c @echo off & for /f ""tokens=6-8"" %a in ('net
time " & hostName & "') do echo %a %b %c"
Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set oExec = oShell.Exec(sCommand)
GetTime = oExec.StdOut.ReadAll
Set oExec = Nothing
Set oShell = Nothing
End Function

Ray at work

Patrice

I would rather configure the server so that it is synchronized with a source
(either external or an internal one that is itself synchronized), you'll
have then just to get the current date/time on this server.

If for some reason you want to query a remote server each time, you could
use the "net time" command (using WScript.Shell).
You may found also the win32 api function at msdn.microsoft.com in which
case you could create a wrapper for use from VBScript.

Is avoiding solution 1 a requirement ?

Patrice

AlexM

Thanks Ray,

You were right about the permissions. And I don't think I can get my
supervisor to loosen his settings.

I've never used WScipt before; it looks powerful. (if available)

AlexM

AlexM

Hello Patrice,

To explain what I'm trying to do...

I made a routine (ASP/VBScript) to autodelete items from a bulletin board
based on an expiration date. For a safety net I'd like the routine to get a
'second opinion' about the date and compare that with the system date before
automatically deleting things. I'm just too paranoid to trust the local date
to never be wrong. Again I don't want to synchronize the system clock (that
task is the sever administrators), I just want to make darn sure it's right
via an ASP file.

Thank you,
AlexM

Ray at

Is your IIS server a member of a 2000 or 2003 domain? If so, I believe that
all times will be synched with the DC in a default setup. So, you kinda
have a built-in second opinion in a way. It's actually only one opinion,
but that opinion comes from the DC! :]

Ray at work

AlexM

Greetings again Ray,

It is set up to be all by itself (so it's not allowed to play with the other
kids). The server guys keep it locked down pretty tight (rightfully so). I
was hoping there was a simple way to use SNTP to double-check the Date from
within my script. It does not seem as easy as I hoped.

I tried to search about this; but results where cluttered with full blown
time sync applications, not a way to 'script' talk to the time server raw.
Thought I'd better consult the experts (ie you).

So I may have to go to Plan B. I suppose I could hide the expired bulletins
for a few days before actually deleting them. That will give me a chance to
catch on if something ever goes wrong. (But I really liked Plan A.)

It's just that the same contributors clambering for their old bulletins to
magically disappear so they don't have to keep track and clean up, will be
the same ones to string me up if this auto-cleanup ever goes wrong. Hence my
desire to have a safety net.

Thank you so much for your efforts,
AlexM

************************
Is your IIS server a member of a 2000 or 2003 domain? If so, I believe that

all times will be synched with the DC in a default setup. So, you kinda
have a built-in second opinion in a way. It's actually only one opinion,
but that opinion comes from the DC! :]

Ray at work

Patrice

IMO this is really overkill. I can understand there could be a slight
difference regarding hours but even with a non synchronized server, if you
can't even rely on the date there is really a problem (backup date and so on
would be nightmare) ! IMO just have a talk with your network guys.

Moreover and as you said you coul just use this date as a selection criteria
rather than physically destroying records...

Patrice