So Brucie... ?

Noozer

Ok? Anyone tell me what this means in English?

Target: http://www.csd.ca/test/
Please, validate your XML document first!

Line 1

Column 3

The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.

brucie

In alt.html Noozer said:
Ok? Anyone tell me what this means in English?

Target: http://www.csd.ca/test/
Please, validate your XML document first!
The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.

fix all your markup errors first then come back and give the css checker
a go. or go straight to the css file if you have no css in your html
doc.
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/....csd.ca/test/style.css&warning=1&profile=css2

it passes so just fix the markup.

Eric Bohlman

Noozer said:
Ok? Anyone tell me what this means in English?

Target: http://www.csd.ca/test/
Please, validate your XML document first!

Line 1

Column 3

The markup in the document preceding the root element must be
well-formed.

Since you're using an XHTML doctype, your document has to obey XML rules.
In XML, whitespace (like blank lines) is almost never ignored; it's treated
as "text content." One of the XML rules is that text content can't occur
outside any element. But you have a blank line (text content) between your
doctype declaration and your first (root) element.

This wouldn't be a problem if you were using an SGML-derived doctype, like
HTML 4.01 Strict. Unless you have very specific reasons for using an XML
formulation of HTML (e.g. you need to use XML tools to preprocess your
documents, you're actually writing for an application-internal help system
rather than the WWW, etc.) it would be a good idea to use HTML 4.01 Strict;
there will be fewer "nitpicky" issues to deal with early on.

Spartanicus

Eric Bohlman said:
Unless you have very specific reasons for using an XML
formulation of HTML (e.g. you need to use XML tools to preprocess your
documents

That's not a valid reason for serving X(HT)ML to the user, by all means
use X(HT)ML if your authoring process benefits from it, but translate it
to HTML before serving it, it's trivial to do.

Eric B. Bednarz

Eric Bohlman said:
One of the XML rules is that text content can't occur
outside any element. But you have a blank line (text content) between your
doctype declaration and your first (root) element.

Hmm, huh?

Jukka K. Korpela

Eric B. Bednarz said:
Hmm, huh?

Just nonsense. Doesn't the thread Subject tell that? It invites babbling.
(I don't mean mentioning Brucie in particular. Any Subject that only
mentions a person typically indicates lack of any interesting content,
except perhaps if you're bored and need to chat pointlessly.)

( http://www.csd.ca/test/ isn't an XML document at all, and there was no
mention of the origin of the message the OP had got. Besides, XML rules
surely permit whitespace after a doctype declaration. )

Eric B. Bednarz

Jukka K. Korpela said:
Just nonsense. Doesn't the thread Subject tell that?

Erm...

(doesn't actually the 'alt' hierarchie component tell that? :)
( http://www.csd.ca/test/ isn't an XML document at all,

Well, it might have been (trying to look like one), before the reply.
Besides, XML rules
surely permit whitespace after a doctype declaration. )

Or before. Or wherever, short of preceding the XML declaration (or
within mixed content).

I'm just having fun figuring out where people 'learn' such things; for
example, one 'learns' to call the 'XML declaration' 'XML prolog' here:
<http://www.webstandards.org/learn/reference/prolog_problems.html>
(OTOH, everyone who 'learns' from reading blogs instead of specs gets
exactly what she asks for)