    Line 1

    Column 3

    The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.

    Noozer, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Noozer

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Noozer said:

    > Ok? Anyone tell me what this means in English?
    >
    > Target: http://www.csd.ca/test/
    > Please, validate your XML document first!
    > The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.

    fix all your markup errors first then come back and give the css checker
    a go. or go straight to the css file if you have no css in your html
    doc.
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/....csd.ca/test/style.css&warning=1&profile=css2

    it passes so just fix the markup.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Noozer

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Noozer" <> wrote in news:5yGed.9857$%k.1220@pd7tw2no:

    > Ok? Anyone tell me what this means in English?
    >

    > Target: http://www.csd.ca/test/
    > Please, validate your XML document first!
    >
    > Line 1
    >
    > Column 3
    >
    > The markup in the document preceding the root element must be
    > well-formed.

    Since you're using an XHTML doctype, your document has to obey XML rules.
    In XML, whitespace (like blank lines) is almost never ignored; it's treated
    as "text content." One of the XML rules is that text content can't occur
    outside any element. But you have a blank line (text content) between your
    doctype declaration and your first (root) element.

    This wouldn't be a problem if you were using an SGML-derived doctype, like
    HTML 4.01 Strict. Unless you have very specific reasons for using an XML
    formulation of HTML (e.g. you need to use XML tools to preprocess your
    documents, you're actually writing for an application-internal help system
    rather than the WWW, etc.) it would be a good idea to use HTML 4.01 Strict;
    there will be fewer "nitpicky" issues to deal with early on.

    Eric Bohlman, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Noozer

    Spartanicus Guest

    Eric Bohlman <> wrote:

    >Unless you have very specific reasons for using an XML
    >formulation of HTML (e.g. you need to use XML tools to preprocess your
    >documents

    That's not a valid reason for serving X(HT)ML to the user, by all means
    use X(HT)ML if your authoring process benefits from it, but translate it
    to HTML before serving it, it's trivial to do.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Eric Bohlman <> writes:

    > One of the XML rules is that text content can't occur
    > outside any element. But you have a blank line (text content) between your
    > doctype declaration and your first (root) element.

    Hmm, huh?

    --
    | ) Più Cabernet,
    -( meno Internet.

    Eric B. Bednarz, Oct 24, 2004
  6. Eric B. Bednarz <> wrote:

    > Eric Bohlman <> writes:
    >
    >> One of the XML rules is that text content can't occur
    >> outside any element. But you have a blank line (text content)
    >> between your doctype declaration and your first (root) element.

    > Hmm, huh?

    Just nonsense. Doesn't the thread Subject tell that? It invites babbling.
    (I don't mean mentioning Brucie in particular. Any Subject that only
    mentions a person typically indicates lack of any interesting content,
    except perhaps if you're bored and need to chat pointlessly.)

    ( http://www.csd.ca/test/ isn't an XML document at all, and there was no
    mention of the origin of the message the OP had got. Besides, XML rules
    surely permit whitespace after a doctype declaration. )

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 24, 2004
  7. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> writes:

    > Just nonsense. Doesn't the thread Subject tell that?

    Erm...

    (doesn't actually the 'alt' hierarchie component tell that? :)

    > ( http://www.csd.ca/test/ isn't an XML document at all,

    Well, it might have been (trying to look like one), before the reply.

    > Besides, XML rules
    > surely permit whitespace after a doctype declaration. )

    Or before. Or wherever, short of preceding the XML declaration (or
    within mixed content).

    I'm just having fun figuring out where people 'learn' such things; for
    example, one 'learns' to call the 'XML declaration' 'XML prolog' here:
    <http://www.webstandards.org/learn/reference/prolog_problems.html>
    (OTOH, everyone who 'learns' from reading blogs instead of specs gets
    exactly what she asks for)

    --
    | ) Più Cabernet,
    -( meno Internet.