    having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
    any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

    --D.

    Daniel Haude, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Daniel Haude <-hamburg.de> scribbled the following:
    > ...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
    > posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
    > having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
    > any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

    Well, if you had bought a Schildt book, you would have encountered some
    surprises. But that would not have been a good thing.

    "The trouble with the French is they don't have a word for entrepreneur."
    - George Bush

    Joona I Palaste, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Daniel Haude

    Default User Guest

    Daniel Haude wrote:
    > ...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and

    occasionally
    > posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C

    FAQ, and
    > having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter

    > any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

    What sort of surprises were you hoping for?

    Brian

    Default User, Feb 7, 2005
  4. Daniel Haude wrote:
    > ...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
    > posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
    > having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
    > any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

    Surprises? If you are specifically looking for surprises, you should try
    playing Russian roulette. What kind of "surprises" did you expect to
    find in the K&R book?

    --
    Best regards,
    Andrey Tarasevich

    Andrey Tarasevich, Feb 7, 2005
  5. Daniel Haude

    Randy Howard Guest

    In article <-hamburg.de>,
    -hamburg.de says...
    > Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

    Are you short of things to light your fireplace with?

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    "Making it hard to do stupid things often makes it hard

    Randy Howard, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Daniel Haude

    Neil Kurzman Guest

    Daniel Haude wrote:

    > ...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
    > posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
    > having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
    > any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?
    >
    > --D.

    If the book answers your questions it is good.
    The Schildt is a phenomena. I bought it years ago. before the net. It
    answer a lot of my questions. So I liked it. But if you look around you will
    find as many people like it as hate it. The haters note that it leans toward
    the PC, not ANSI. So it does not help them, and my give the wrong answer.

    Neil Kurzman, Feb 8, 2005
  7. Daniel Haude <-hamburg.de> wrote:
    > ...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
    > posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
    > having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
    > any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

    I bought the K&R book a few years ago. I just recently bought a hardback
    copy of the C99 standard + technical corrigendum 1. I'm quite happy, though
    the page numbering is broken.

    Those two books are all I could ever ask for and more as far as C
    programming goes.

    I also own two editions of Steven's, et al Advanced Network Programming.
    Similar to my experience w/ K&R I think it might soon be worth my money to
    find a hard copy of the Standard Unix Specifiation version 3 (the online
    version is nice but you can't beat the ability to lay back and flip through
    pages by hand).

    William Ahern, Feb 8, 2005
  8. Daniel Haude

    Chris Barts Guest

    Neil Kurzman wrote:

    > If the book answers your questions it is good.

    Getting right answers is more important.

    > The Schildt is a phenomena. I bought it years ago. before the net. It
    > answer a lot of my questions. So I liked it.

    You didn't know it was giving you wrong answers, which is why it's so
    hard for an inexperienced person to buy a book worth owning: They don't
    know enough to know when an author is full of shit.

    > But if you look around you will find as many people like it as hate it. The
    > haters note that it leans toward the PC, not ANSI. So it does not help them,
    > and my give the wrong answer.

    No, it leans toward the incorrect, as opposed to the correct. It gives
    the wrong answer to anyone who reads its pages.

    Here is a website that takes apart the errors in the book:
    http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

    Chris Barts, Feb 8, 2005
  9. Daniel Haude

    infobahn Guest

    Chris Barts wrote:

    > Neil Kurzman wrote:
    >
    > > But if you look around you will find as many people like it as hate it. The
    > > haters note that it leans toward the PC, not ANSI. So it does not help them,
    > > and my give the wrong answer.

    > No, it leans toward the incorrect, as opposed to the correct. It gives
    > the wrong answer to anyone who reads its pages.
    >
    > Here is a website that takes apart the errors in the book:
    > http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

    Probably takes apart the wrong book. Possibly you meant:

    http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/c/c_tcr.html

    infobahn, Feb 8, 2005
  10. Daniel Haude

    Chris Barts Guest

    infobahn wrote:
    > Chris Barts wrote:
    >
    >>Here is a website that takes apart the errors in the book:
    >>http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

    > Probably takes apart the wrong book. Possibly you meant:
    >
    > http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/c/c_tcr.html

    Well, they're both bad books by Schildt on C. I didn't know about the
    book you mention, but I think my point stands: Schildt should not write
    books about C, and when he does nobody should buy them.

    Chris Barts, Feb 8, 2005
  11. Daniel Haude

    infobahn Guest

    Chris Barts wrote:

    > infobahn wrote:
    > > Chris Barts wrote:
    > >
    > >>Here is a website that takes apart the errors in the book:
    > >>http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

    > > Probably takes apart the wrong book. Possibly you meant:
    > >
    > > http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/c/c_tcr.html

    > Well, they're both bad books by Schildt on C.

    The first one is only half-bad, since most of the left-hand pages
    (I think!) are fine. It's only the right-hand pages (that is, the
    ones written by Schildt) that are broken.

    > I didn't know about the
    > book you mention, but I think my point stands: Schildt should not write
    > books about C, and when he does nobody should buy them.

    Fear not. He's moved on to other languages, God help them.

    infobahn, Feb 8, 2005
  12. Daniel Haude

    Neil Kurzman Guest

    Chris Barts wrote:

    > Neil Kurzman wrote:
    >
    > > If the book answers your questions it is good.

    > Getting right answers is more important.
    >
    > > The Schildt is a phenomena. I bought it years ago. before the net. It
    > > answer a lot of my questions. So I liked it.

    > You didn't know it was giving you wrong answers, which is why it's so
    > hard for an inexperienced person to buy a book worth owning: They don't
    > know enough to know when an author is full of shit.
    >
    > > But if you look around you will find as many people like it as hate it. The
    > > haters note that it leans toward the PC, not ANSI. So it does not help them,
    > > and my give the wrong answer.

    > No, it leans toward the incorrect, as opposed to the correct. It gives
    > the wrong answer to anyone who reads its pages.
    >
    > Here is a website that takes apart the errors in the book:
    > http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

    At the Time (before the web) It was the best book I could find in the Book Store.
    It covered Stuff that my text books did not. Mostly, pointers and pointers to
    structures, and passing them.
    I have not opened it in years, I usually hit help.
    I should get a copy of K&R. When I do I hope I do not find I am doing it all
    wrong.

    Neil Kurzman, Feb 9, 2005