So I bought K&R...

Daniel Haude

....and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

--D.

Joona I Palaste

Daniel Haude said:
...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

Well, if you had bought a Schildt book, you would have encountered some
surprises. But that would not have been a good thing.

Default User

Daniel said:
...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

What sort of surprises were you hoping for?

Brian

Andrey Tarasevich

Daniel said:
...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

Surprises? If you are specifically looking for surprises, you should try
playing Russian roulette. What kind of "surprises" did you expect to
find in the K&R book?

Neil Kurzman

Daniel said:
...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

--D.

If the book answers your questions it is good.
The Schildt is a phenomena. I bought it years ago. before the net. It
answer a lot of my questions. So I liked it. But if you look around you will
find as many people like it as hate it. The haters note that it leans toward
the PC, not ANSI. So it does not help them, and my give the wrong answer.

William Ahern

Daniel Haude said:
...and I must say I don't regret it. But having lurked (and occasionally
posted) for years in this group, having read and understood the C FAQ, and
having perused the Standard quite a bit I must say I didn't encounter
any real surprises. Should I have bought a Schildt book instead?

I bought the K&R book a few years ago. I just recently bought a hardback
copy of the C99 standard + technical corrigendum 1. I'm quite happy, though
the page numbering is broken.

Those two books are all I could ever ask for and more as far as C
programming goes.

I also own two editions of Steven's, et al Advanced Network Programming.
Similar to my experience w/ K&R I think it might soon be worth my money to
find a hard copy of the Standard Unix Specifiation version 3 (the online
version is nice but you can't beat the ability to lay back and flip through
pages by hand).

Chris Barts

Neil said:
If the book answers your questions it is good.

Getting right answers is more important.
The Schildt is a phenomena. I bought it years ago. before the net. It
answer a lot of my questions. So I liked it.

You didn't know it was giving you wrong answers, which is why it's so
hard for an inexperienced person to buy a book worth owning: They don't
know enough to know when an author is full of shit.
But if you look around you will find as many people like it as hate it. The
haters note that it leans toward the PC, not ANSI. So it does not help them,
and my give the wrong answer.

No, it leans toward the incorrect, as opposed to the correct. It gives
the wrong answer to anyone who reads its pages.

Here is a website that takes apart the errors in the book:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

infobahn

Chris said:
Well, they're both bad books by Schildt on C.

The first one is only half-bad, since most of the left-hand pages
(I think!) are fine. It's only the right-hand pages (that is, the
ones written by Schildt) that are broken.
I didn't know about the
book you mention, but I think my point stands: Schildt should not write
books about C, and when he does nobody should buy them.

Fear not. He's moved on to other languages, God help them.

Neil Kurzman

Chris said:
Getting right answers is more important.

You didn't know it was giving you wrong answers, which is why it's so
hard for an inexperienced person to buy a book worth owning: They don't
know enough to know when an author is full of shit.

No, it leans toward the incorrect, as opposed to the correct. It gives
the wrong answer to anyone who reads its pages.

Here is a website that takes apart the errors in the book:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html

At the Time (before the web) It was the best book I could find in the Book Store.
It covered Stuff that my text books did not. Mostly, pointers and pointers to
structures, and passing them.
I have not opened it in years, I usually hit help.
I should get a copy of K&R. When I do I hope I do not find I am doing it all
wrong.