So many languages/tools, so very confusing!

benn686

Ruby, Ajax, Flex, CSS/HTML/PHP/ASP...

I understand these are programming languages that are used to design
database rich websites.. however, are these all mutually exclusive?

I know a while back, Cold Fusion was Hot, but now that is considered
obsolete..

Flex is the same thing as flash, but can be used on the desktop
instead of on a webpage, is that correct?

Ajax builds on CSS/HTML, but has since been replaced by Ruby?

Is there a book recommend that gives a broad look at the current state
of internet programming.. which is best for what, etc?

Phrogz

Ruby, Ajax, Flex, CSS/HTML/PHP/ASP...

I understand these are programming languages that are used to design
database rich websites.. however, are these all mutually exclusive?

Your understanding is, unfortunately, incorrect.

HTML is the markup for a single web page. It describes the content
(and to some extent its visual style).

CSS is a markup for a single page, set of pages, or entire site. It
describes how content should be visually presented.

AJAX is a buzzword that describes using client-side JavaScript
(running on the web browser of the host machine) to communicate with a
web server, and (often) to modify the HTML page dynamically in turn.
Often the JavaScript is sending dynamic queries to the web server, and
receiving dynamic responses from some server-side technology.

PHP is a server-side language for dynamically generating content.
Generally you will be producing HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

ASP is a server-side technology from Microsoft for dynamically
generating content. While it's often used to describe using VBScript
to program ASP, you can also use other languages, such as JScript.
Generally you will be producing HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

Ruby is a general purpose programming language. You likely are
confusing the word "Ruby" with "Ruby on Rails", which is a server-side
framework for developing dynamic websites using the Ruby language.
Generally you will be producing HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. (Ruby on
Rails, or just "Rails", has some convenient libraries it supplies for
using AJAX style communication if you don't know how to - or don't
want to - write JavaScript code.)

I don't know enough about "Flex" to speak intelligently about it.
Instead, I link you to http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/ for more
information.
Is there a book recommend that gives a broad look at the current state
of internet programming.. which is best for what, etc?

There are probably very, very many. I don't know of any to recommend.
I recommend you read a lot of free tutorials on web sites.

Jari Williamsson

Ruby, Ajax, Flex, CSS/HTML/PHP/ASP...

I understand these are programming languages

No, but a few of them are.
Ajax builds on CSS/HTML,

CSS/XHTML/DOM/XML and JavaScript.
but has since been replaced by Ruby?

In what way?
Is there a book recommend that gives a broad look at the current state
of internet programming.. which is best for what, etc?

Try places like Google and Wikipedia first.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson