So, Which Version is Suitable for Beginners

blah

I m actually a Novice in Python as well as Linux, When i look up
things on the internet about Linux Flavours, They are written so
complex that it is difficult for me to understand, i am asking if
anyone here know of a Linux Distribution that is for beginners (I am a
new user of linux, therefore, i dont know what linux will do.) also
the flavour must have python so i can work on it too. I will use
Vmware Workstation, because Linux and Windows on a Dual-boot Dont work
well, Linux works fine, but Windows Shows Problems, So, i will
summarize it as:

A) Linux Distribution which is intended for beginners, and contains
Python

B) I need it to work on VMware Workstation 5

C) Do not Recommend Fedora ,Debian (the Original).

Christoph Haas

I m actually a Novice in Python as well as Linux, When i look up
things on the internet about Linux Flavours, They are written so
complex that it is difficult for me to understand, i am asking if
anyone here know of a Linux Distribution that is for beginners (I am a
new user of linux, therefore, i dont know what linux will do.) also
the flavour must have python so i can work on it too. I will use
Vmware Workstation, because Linux and Windows on a Dual-boot Dont work
well, Linux works fine, but Windows Shows Problems, So, i will
summarize it as:

A) Linux Distribution which is intended for beginners, and contains
Python

Ubuntu (see below).
B) I need it to work on VMware Workstation 5

Most do.
C) Do not Recommend Fedora ,Debian (the Original).

Debian is clean and powerful but perhaps not suited well for complete
novices. So I would recommend a Debian-based distribution like "Ubuntu" to
you. It will not bother you with all the gears and give you a working
desktop environment which - of course - includes Python. If you like KDE
over Gnome (I do) you can use "Kubuntu". If you haven't heard of Gnome or
KDE yet... just try Ubuntu.

Christoph

Roel Schroeven

Christoph said:

I installed Ubuntu on VMware Workstation 5 just a few days ago. Works
nicely. There's one small problem: when installing the VMware tools in
Ubuntu, the install program says it doesn't have any precompiled modules
for the running kernel. It's not much of a problem since the installer
can compile the modules itself; you just need to install the necessary
packages in order for it being able to do so (best install them before
running the VMware tools install scripts). The packages you need are:

linux-headers-2.6.12-9-386
gcc-3.4
make

Then either set the environment variable CC to /usr/bin/gcc-3.4 or wait
until the vmware tools installer asks for the location of the compiler
and enter /usr/bin/gcc-3.4. For the other questions it asks you can just
use the default IIRC.

rainbow.cougar

I have found my novice Linux users take to SUSE (either Gnome or KDE)
readily. Probably because the devfs interfaces to the windows interface
readily.