SOA Question

Raj Vijay

Hi All,

I was reading the below article from web about SOA Architecture .
By reading this , i couldn't figure out the Difference between a Customer
Class and a Customer Service.
For me , even the Customer Class can process a request to add a customer,
check his or her credit history etc, using its own methods.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

//In an SOA, the functions aren't broken down by entities and component
layers. Instead, we look at what's necessary to implement all of the
services that are required to manage operations across a set of entities.
For example, a customer service would be able to respond to any request from
any other system or service that needed to interrogate or manipulate
customer information. The customer service could process a request to add a
customer, check his or her credit history, or indicate his or her
outstanding unpaid invoices. The customer service would own all of the data
directly related to the customers it managed and would be able to make other
service inquiries on behalf of the calling party in order to provide a
unified customer service view.//

Thanks
Raj

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

a service implies
- policy-based negotiation of behavior
- Explicit boundary - it is always clear, as defined by the service
interface
- Autonomy - means the service does not apparently rely on externals
- Contract
Exchange - where the service interface is delivered via the contract or
schema

http://staff.newtelligence.net/clemensv/PermaLink.aspx?guid=3a029ead-58f2-405a-a5d1-6cc3513a59fa
PEACE

A class is typically not
- autonomous
- specified in a language-neutral and platform-neutral contract or schema
- defined by a strictly explicit boundary

in short, a service is a network-exposed artifact. a class is not. (in
general)