SOA Question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Raj Vijay, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. Raj Vijay

    Raj Vijay Guest

    Hi All,

    I was reading the below article from web about SOA Architecture .
    By reading this , i couldn't figure out the Difference between a Customer
    Class and a Customer Service.
    For me , even the Customer Class can process a request to add a customer,
    check his or her credit history etc, using its own methods.

    Please correct me if i am wrong.

    //In an SOA, the functions aren't broken down by entities and component
    layers. Instead, we look at what's necessary to implement all of the
    services that are required to manage operations across a set of entities.
    For example, a customer service would be able to respond to any request from
    any other system or service that needed to interrogate or manipulate
    customer information. The customer service could process a request to add a
    customer, check his or her credit history, or indicate his or her
    outstanding unpaid invoices. The customer service would own all of the data
    directly related to the customers it managed and would be able to make other
    service inquiries on behalf of the calling party in order to provide a
    unified customer service view.//

    Thanks
    Raj

    Raj Vijay, Oct 23, 2004

  2. a service implies
    - policy-based negotiation of behavior
    - Explicit boundary - it is always clear, as defined by the service
    interface
    - Autonomy - means the service does not apparently rely on externals
    - Contract
    Exchange - where the service interface is delivered via the contract or
    schema

    http://staff.newtelligence.net/clemensv/PermaLink.aspx?guid=3a029ead-58f2-405a-a5d1-6cc3513a59fa
    PEACE

    A class is typically not
    - autonomous
    - specified in a language-neutral and platform-neutral contract or schema
    - defined by a strictly explicit boundary

    in short, a service is a network-exposed artifact. a class is not. (in
    general)

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], Oct 27, 2004