SOA Systems without Web Services: Anything out there?

Olli Plough

Hi,

I've been looking into that SOA stuff since SOA could be something to
integrate various systems in my company with. So far I could only find
SOA systems that are based on web services. I earlier had to work with
web services and I'm not happy with them as performance is really poor
and data throughout very low.

I'm anyway only looking for ways to integrate different Java
application, so there is no need for web services. Nevertheless, I
find the idea of SOA interesting. I then had a look into the
enterprise service bus. The ESB systems I looked at seemed more to be
about messaging and EAI. There was no talk about service-orientation.

So, that's the story so far. What I'm looking for now is a way to
apply a service-oriented approach without the overkill of web
services. Is there something out that that does just that or could be
tweaked to do what I want?

Thanx for any hints,
Oliver

Lew

Olli said:
[...]

SOA is an approach. Structure your modules as services and you have SOA. QED.

-- Lew

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Olli said:
[...]

Strictly speaking SOA is a concept not software. You document some
high level services for each system and that is it.

When you get to software you have 3 choices:
- standardize on web services usually SOAP over HTTP
- standardize on an ESB with support for various in and
out protocols
- use your own protocols typical some binary socket ones

The optimal choice depends on your config. Very likely you
will need more than one type. 1000 sync request-response per
minute of 20 bytes and 1 async push of 10 MB every 60 minutes
does not lean towards the same solution.

Arne

Arne

Patrick May

Olli Plough said:
I've been looking into that SOA stuff since SOA could be something
to integrate various systems in my company with. So far I could only
find SOA systems that are based on web services. I earlier had to
work with web services and I'm not happy with them as performance is
really poor and data throughout very low.

I'm anyway only looking for ways to integrate different Java
application, so there is no need for web services.

I've implemented SOAs using Jini (http://www.jini.org). It's a
much more elegant and lightweight model than the WS-* morass.

Regards,

Patrick